regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkri23:
are us divers regs any good i have been told mixed things about them..

Mine have worked fine for the last 18 years.

-Ben

I've used them in my classes since 1998...They have performed nearly flawlessly

Joe

A) US Divers aren't made anymore. They're owned by Aqualung.

B) You're going to find a lot of people who tell you to "do a search." Let me summarize a lot of what you're going to find:

For the money, it's next to impossible to beat an Apeks DS4 with ATX 50 second stage. They're popular everywhere from the recreational to the tech community, with good reason.

Scubapro MK25's are popular, but more expensive - as are ATX100's and ATX200's from Apeks.

I also happen to think that for the money, the Aqualung Titan is not a bad regulator. A few people like Mares, but a lot of people think they breath like bricks. Oceanics are getting some good reviews, but they're not as popular. TUSA is pretty much regarded as junk, as is Dacor. Atomics are highly regarded, but no more so than Apeks and Scubapro, and they're brutal expensive.

Like everything else, you're going to find some people are going to chip in here with "Oh yeah, well, I have XXX brand & it's great." Yeah yeah yeah - I'm just summarizing about 3 years of opinion from Scubaboard in one response.

Way to go Boogie...

Mods, you can lock the regulator forum now :wink:

Boogie711:
A) US Divers aren't made anymore. They're owned by Aqualung.

B) You're going to find a lot of people who tell you to "do a search." Let me summarize a lot of what you're going to find:

For the money, it's next to impossible to beat an Apeks DS4 with ATX 50 second stage. They're popular everywhere from the recreational to the tech community, with good reason.

Scubapro MK25's are popular, but more expensive - as are ATX100's and ATX200's from Apeks.

I also happen to think that for the money, the Aqualung Titan is not a bad regulator. A few people like Mares, but a lot of people think they breath like bricks. Oceanics are getting some good reviews, but they're not as popular. TUSA is pretty much regarded as junk, as is Dacor. Atomics are highly regarded, but no more so than Apeks and Scubapro, and they're brutal expensive.

Like everything else, you're going to find some people are going to chip in here with "Oh yeah, well, I have XXX brand & it's great." Yeah yeah yeah - I'm just summarizing about 3 years of opinion from Scubaboard in one response.
I'll show you a brick. :wink:

Boogie711 is bang on the mark. I've read almost every thread on the regulator subject and all I can say is ask 10 divers about what is best and you'll get 20 different answers.

I've used USD, Apex and scubapro and they are all great.

I've kept my Scubapro Mk20 G500 but I foolishly sold my Apex DS4 TX50 several years ago and I've regreted it since. Now I will invest in the DS4 Atx50.

You can't go wrong with any of the major brands.

To answer your question more specifically, a great solution would be to go to your local dive site and see what people are using. Try to find out who the more experienced divers are and buy what the majority of these are using.

Well, there are a copule of things Boogie711 said that I'll take a different stance on... Tusa is actually great stuff for the money - very good breathing reg at good price and lifetime parts warranty. In fact the new Tusa reg is nothing more than a ScubaPro Mk16 R380 with the Tusa name on it - but as far as ease of breathing, I'd actually go with the other Tusas over that.

And you left out Zeagles, which used to be apeks, but now are their own reg - about the same - except a few minor changes (improvements) and the company is US instead of being distributed by the French.

And trevinkorea, I hope you haven't kept your MK20... If NOAA does not want to dive them... don't think I do either!

IME, Mares regs breathe with the just about the same ease that a knife cuts through.. water.

Course, I use Apeks regs.

Too funny Boogie!

You know Larry, I like the TUSA regs as well, but I need to try a Zeagle since they have started to make their own. I really appreciate their quality control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom