Relaxing by humming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hum the "Final Jeopardy Theme" in your head and use it as a timer.

It's around thirty seconds long, and I use it to gauge my ascent rate --i.e. 1m/min ascent rate takes two verses for a change of 1m (or 1 verse for every 0.5meters). . .

Diving to me is relaxing enough that I don't need to do anything to ruin the experience. I pity anyone who is so uptight that they need something to take their mind off the dive.

While I generally agree with you, you have to take into consideration new divers, those who haven't dived for a while, and even experienced divers in new or challenging conditions. Diving in Galapagos is not exactly "relaxing" and doing some deep breathing on the panga out to sites helped me tremendously.

This is a serious question.

On a recent trip to the Red Sea, I was talking to the Divemaster about relaxing underwater in order to regularise breathing. He said that he hums to himself - usually silently, but sometimes out loud. (I know he was telling the truth, because I heard him once or twice, which could be a bit unnerving at 30 meters).

I tried his method, picking my own tune, and it seemed to work quite well for me. The tune I picked was "Albatross" by Fleetwood Mac, which, if you know it, is very calming, and also quite appropriate to being at sea.

I was wondering whether any other forum readers use this method to relax, and, if so, which tunes would people suggest ?

(Note this is not the same as asking for favourite diving music - I saw that on another thread)

I don't consciously hum to relax but with me it works the other way around. If I'm relaxed I make all kinds of vocalizations.... I don't consciously notice them but I make a lot of them. My buddy calls it my whale song. :) LOL

R..

I talk to myself underwater quite a bit. And yes, I sometimes also answer myself :D . Heck I'll even have an argument with myself. Either way, I win! :rofl3:

Psychiatrists have determined that talking to yourself is perfectly normal and you can even answer yourself without any concerns. Should a third person enter the conversation.......................

Back
Top Bottom