Released: Apple “Vision Pro” AR/VR Headset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Today, Apple finally introduced the device the industry has been speculating about for years- their “mixed-reality” headset. The YouTube video below is nine minutes & has enough info to get a feel for what Apple has done.

TechCrunch:
First impressions: Yes, Apple Vision Pro works and yes, it’s good.

"After a roughly 30 minute demo that ran through the major features that are yet ready to test I came away convinced that Apple has delivered nothing less than a genuine leapfrog in capability and execution of XR — or mixed reality with its new Apple Vision Pro. […] The hardware is good, very good, with 24 million pixels across the two panels, orders of magnitude more than any headsets most consumers have come in contact with."

It won't be available until next year, and at USD $3,499, it's obviously not aimed at the mainstream consumer market. Unfortunately, the hardware needed to create something like this is currently very costly. E.g. two tiny >4K HDR screens- one for each eye.

This is an excellent video…

…from a YouTuber who was able to actually use it after the Apple event.

It was a bit strange for me, because this guy's reactions and observations were so much like I imagined my own might be. He also thinks this will be a very big deal.

Looks like a diving mask! But I don't think it will be waterproof. :wink: OTOH, I'm sure some people will create ambient underwater/dive environmental scenes for it, which could be very cool. I can imagine being on the rock pile in Eagle's Nest or in the Abaco caves…

I’m an Apple fan and I think they have a big winner here. Price is a problem for now but for the first time this type of device looks useful and desirable.

Soon to be released:

1686309689275.png

Wow, this thing is amazing, crusing virtually along a tropical reef, so realistic!

does anyone know how to get pee stains out of a couch cushion?

:cool:

:wink:

Oculus VR founder & engineering prodigy Palmer Luckey breaks down Apple”s AR/VR announcements. Super insightful.

"Google's augmented-reality dream turned into chaos … constant pivots are delaying its master plan to chase Apple"

Looks like Apple may have an AR/VR advantage for some time to come…

"In early 2022, reports began surfacing that Apple's long-rumored headset was in the final stretch, and Google leaders began to worry. 'At Google, there is a great fear that when Apple releases new products, it shifts the landscape,' a former employee said."

[…] "Leaders within Google have acknowledged [its AR/VR delay] to staff, but some employees are skeptical it will be enough time to launch a product that will wow the public. 'It definitely doesn't provide enough buffer to come close to the Apple Vision Pro,' one said."

Apple Vision Pro deliveries started yesterday, and it’s temporarily taking over YouTube tech traffic.

Here’s an interesting example using NBA games and a bunch of virtual screens. This video URL is cued to the NBA part, but it’s a pretty good video overall too:

>>> Apple Vision Pro Sports Example

Also interesting- remote work capabilities:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom