Remember the Dive Guard posting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you guys are too much! If the unit malfunctions, and starts inflating your BCD, there is an override. If the override malfunctions, you can pull off the LPI hose, a skill that you learned in confined water during your OW class. You do remember how to do that, don't you? So you have three levels of redundancy...not bad. Where is the level of redundancy if you stop breathing? Your buddy that has his back turned and is 30 feet away taking pictures? Right.

Hey, I don't want a DiverGuard either, but at least denigrate it with credible reasons.

I'll present a scenario...

Two buddies on a common wreck in the St. Lawrence river in late spring...

Dive buddy team is conducting dive within recreational limits at 120’ when diver 1 begins suffering from narcosis. Diver 1 drops regulator and begins to panic. Diver 2 deploys 7’ hose and regulator to diver 1 and prepares for slow ascent to surface (no more than 30’/minute). Diverguard realizes that diver 1 is not breathing and begins sounding alarm. Diver 1 is still suffering from narcosis and confused by the noise, diver 2 cannot determine quickly how to disable system. Diverguard inflates Diver 1’s BCD at approximately 90’, moving him/her uncontrollably towards surface. Diver 1, still panicked, does not release Diver 2’s regulator and drags him to the surface also. In only a few seconds divers 1 and 2 move from 4ATM to 1ATM of pressure. Both divers suffer from Barotrauma and die on the surface.

I don't trust any device where i have to disable it to save my life when it functions as intended...

Why would I stop breathing?

Because you're dead. You need redundancy because you need to be dead AND have post mortem baro-trauma.

Why would I stop breathing?

Hypothetically speaking? Maybe you installed and dove with a Diverguard, inflicted its stupid strobe/alarm functions on your fellow divers, and they responded by drowning you.

Now that is just plain negativositiness.

Last edited:
We use a device called an Automatic Activation Device (AAD) in skydiving which has been popular for about 15 years. It senses a set speed of descent at about 750 to 1,000 feet, and if that speed exceeds a descent rate equivalent to having no canopy out (about 78 mph), it cuts the reserve parachute (second parachute in case you have already cut a malfunctioning main away; kind of like a redundant pony) closing loop and the reserve canopy automatically deploys. The device has saved numerous lives and after having one of our instructors go in without the device, it is required at our dropzone (and now, many others). On the other hand, there have been a relatively small number of AAD malfunctions, which have cost lives, but considering all factors, it is a wonderful device. I wouldn't consider jumping or having my son jump without one.
Having been knocked out in a freefall collision (I came to in time to deploy), devices that protect unconscious and/or stupid people from disaster may be a good idea. However, at this time, I am probably not ready for the scuba device until it is well-proven to not cause more harm than benefits. Most of all, it is the potential for an uncontrolled ascent that concerns me.

New technology often results in a rousing chorus of naysayers. I recall that there was the same suspicion when bcds were first brought into the market. Having learned to dive without the use of a bc or even a horse collar, I remember thinking "why would I want or need a bc"? When I came back to diving after a multi-decade absence, I had my first experience with and bcd, and although I could still dive without one, they sure make life easier and probably safer. Perhaps this technology will prove to be a "must have item" at some point in the future. Just approach it with an open mind.

Just not so open your brains fall out.

Looking at this from a senior citizen perspective it might be handy for that unexpected heart attack. Is there a senior citizen discount?

Looking at this from a senior citizen perspective it might be handy for that unexpected heart attack. Is there a senior citizen discount?

I kinda of assumed all heart attacks are unexpected :D

I would think if one becomes paranoid enough to expect one though being an old fart, a FFM might be more benefit. Anything to keep oxygen flowing to the brain box would be my top priority. This this seems more like an automated body recovery tool....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom