Remote valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

of not looking at the total package. Although, it also speaks to how people receive and process information when presented in different manners. Some people I meet are so imflamed by DIR/GUE/Hogarthian they just won't see it and to me thats a real shame as much the fault of the 'DIR' system-read some 'evanglists'- as their (the non DIR types) lack of ability to put their humility/ego on the shelf and take the time to fully understand and see the concept in action.

Everywhere in life you see parallel examples of this. I absolutely 'hated' some professors in college and grad school but they knew their stuff and had really great professional accomplishments for this (their social/people skills sucked). Should the greater body of knowledge suffer due to the lack of delivery and political correctness. Not really, although in an ego trodden sport like cave/tech diving it will most certainly linger. Your dive, your choice...choose wisely.

Originally posted by WYDT

Why do you have to find "accidents" to decide if it's a good idea? You admitted you CAN reach the valves without one....

Why don't you just strap a dead cat to your chest... be just as usefull as a "remote" but it sounds like you are going to do what you want to do regardless of common sense.:confused:

Hi

To answer the point about accidents , my intention was to find factual information it was mentioned on previous posts about them being failure points I have never found any information to suggest this, if DAN or some other source did have statistics to prove this then of course I would agree with what was said and post the information.

With my diving I have tried to take an un-biased opinion based on facts.I think I have explained my reasons for the remote valve it suits me ,and I am in no way trying to convert anyone .I think I have covered the failure point and the entaglement.

Again it comes to if you don't need it don't take it.
First I should say I am talking about entering wrecks that is the reason I have a manifold.I think you should agree then that at ANY time during the dive I should be able to reach the isolator ?
I decided honestly that where times when inside a wreck that I could not.By fitting a manifold you acknowledge that a major air loss is a real risk. I belive I have been honest with myself.

I could go on and state many situations where it would be difficult if not impossible to shut the isolator can you suggest a situation where I would regret fitting a remote ???

Thanks once again Alban

Personally, if I'm in spot where I can't reach my valves, then I have really screwed up.

That's just me, though.

Mike

The true design flaw is in the placement of a critical piece of equipment i.e. first stage of a regulator-BEHIND YOUR BACK!

In anesthesia-where we often mix various inhalational agents- no one would tolerate having to reach behind their backs and operate a valve to life support equipment-it's like a Houdini trick. And what's worse when you're diving is that you have to first realize there is a problem, then go through a rather long sequence of just to isolate the problem.

I think the debate surrounding this practice and its use of an remote isolator-or not- just hightens the need for a new design in scuba equipment. I don't have any feeling either way about the isolator, it just all seems like the first stage should be more accessable.

.......but alas I have no new ideas.

Why does D.I.R. not like inverting the tanks? I would think that this would be anatomicaly easier to reach the valves and protect the valves from overhead collisions.

Originally posted by Alban

I could go on and state many situations where it would be difficult if not impossible to shut the isolator can you suggest a situation where I would regret fitting a remote ???

You've got to be kidding right??? Go ahead and use your flim flam bim bam modufloculator remote control valve manipulator and when you realize you don't really need it and it's just a pain in the arse come back and tell us we were all right.... if you're still around. It's obvious you're going to use it regardless of common sense.

From another post... Why does D.I.R. not like inverting the tanks? I would think that this would be anatomicaly easier to reach the valves and protect the valves from overhead collisions.

Once again, adding "fixes" for problems that do not exist. Do you guys even dive doubles??? The manifold can easily be reached by just about anyone with ANY dexterity. There is NO problem reaching the valves. The person who started this thread even admits to having NO PROBLEM reaching the valves.

Inverting the tanks would require adding a cage to the valves so one could set them down without breaking the first stages, adding super long hoses increasing ones entanglement and failure potential and all to fix one percieved problem of reaching the valves that anyone should be able to do in the first place.

sigh....

:confused:

Your NOT supposed to be in an overhead environment if your skills are such that you are proned to running into things.

I think we have had most peoples views on the remotes and I would only be going over what I have allready said.
As a reply to the inverting of tanks I think reaching them is very much easier but there can be problems when attaching stages hung horizontally I dont't know if side mounting them would be any better ?? I would be interested if any one has tried this ( cave divers perhaps )

Thanks once again Alban

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom