Rental Car -Collision/Damage Waiver Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Jen, there is not need to rush. I know you want to tell the story, and that's great - start a new thread with it when you do, but take it easy and do it when you really feel up to it.

DAN does cover out of country non-diving accidents if you have the upgraded coverage, and of course you would - I'm glad. They also will assist you in returning to the states if you need.

It's common for US medical insurance to not cover outside of the country, the main reason I take trip insurance for my adventures. DAN dive insurance does not cover non-diving illnesses and they happen too.

As a career property and casualty insurance broker you are best advised to accept the insurance offered with the rental car in Mexico as most all American auto carriers do not extend any facet of automobile coverage for any replacement vehicle (rental) to any country other than Canada.

The c.c. company may reimburse you for your comprehensive and collision deductible as it appears on your USA policy but that's it. Not only are you on the hook for further damage to the rental car, you may also have major problems with any damage done to other property and persons...

Last edited:

I will be posting about this in the next day or two but I have been royally screwed by this car rental company... and this is a company I have used many times in the past and to whom I refer business to.

Wow that bites. Good luck with your efforts to keep the company honest. You're doing all Coz travellers a favour in doing so. Have you gone to the Mexican equilavent of "Consumer Affairs" yet? I think it's called Profecto...or something like that.

Have you gone to the Mexican equilavent of "Consumer Affairs" yet? I think it's called Profecto...or something like that.
Yes, am going to file a complaint with Profeco on Monday and then I can speak freely about it.
I gave them every opportunity to do the right thing. Too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out of business over this one. Not that I want to see that, but operating a car rental company without insurance is going to put them in some very hot water.

Yes, am going to file a complaint with Profeco on Monday and then I can speak freely about it.
I gave them every opportunity to do the right thing. Too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out of business over this one. Not that I want to see that, but operating a car rental company without insurance is going to put them in some very hot water.
The $1500 deductible probly tells me who it is, and I hope the driver gets well reimbursed from his credit card since he unknowingly declined the CDC.

I also hope that DAN takes care of all of your expenses, the medical was under $10,000 with you on the top plan, and maybe some benefits under Cancellation and Interruption benefits.

Don't worry about putting anyone out of business. Bribes will keep anyone in business there.

I was involved in a Jeep accident in Cozumel 12 days ago. I was sitting in the back of a rental Jeep (behind the driver) when we were broadsided. I took most of the hit and split my head open and was in the hospital for 3 days.
COLOR]

This was not at the intersection of Avenida 5 and Calle 21 South last week was it? Our group rented a house at this intersection and heard a crash which involved a jeep. There was a woman in the back seat behind the driver who was in a lot of pain. Not sure if that was you or not.

Jen -
I heard about your injury and I'm glad to hear that you're out of the hospital. It will take a long time before your brain recovers fully -- be patient & rely on friends to help with the hard stuff -- like driving a shopping cart down the aisle without hitting shelves! And please don't get addicted to telenovellas!
I'm going to Profeco Monday morning if your misery wants company...
All best & good luck,
Deb

This was not at the intersection of Avenida 5 and Calle 21 South last week was it? Our group rented a house at this intersection and heard a crash which involved a jeep. There was a woman in the back seat behind the driver who was in a lot of pain. Not sure if that was you or not.

Yes Sandy - that was Jennifer! I was not witness to the accident itself, but I was with her at the hospital in the aftermath. She is a dear friend of mine and I will attest that her injuries were very serious and that she has been more than patient, professional and courteous with this rental company. She has given them AMPLE opportunity to do the right thing...they simply refuse to cooperate and have gone as far to blame her for her own injuries AND to minimize them (ie: "you can't be hurt too bad, you look fine to me"). I am beyond disappointed and appalled with this company as it is also one I have used and referred people to. I will support Jen's decision to do what she needs to do and filing a PROFECO complaint is definitely in order!

Back
Top Bottom