Repairing hole in DUI silicone neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wondering if the tiny hole in my DUI silicone neck seal is repairable, and if so, what's the best way to do it? It's a small hole just above the second ring near the top of the neck seal. It hasn't actually been leaking as far as I can tell, perhaps because I wear a bio seal under the next seal? Pictures attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240421_152340.jpg
    20240421_152340.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240421_152359.jpg
    20240421_152359.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 35
Could trim down to that ring and see if it still seals? Otherwise agree with davecampbell. Switch to latex if you can, they tear less for me YMMV.

As mentioned above, trim it and see if it still seals. The thing with silicone is that nothing will adhere to it, so glue or tape won’t work.

I cut 2 rings off the silicone neck seals so they fit my neck better. You might be improving the seal with a trim. There are instructions on making a clean cut. If jagged you will be making stress risers for the silicone to tear.

If trimming doesn't work, replace is your only other option.

What you have gotten for advice so far is pretty much correct. When I got my first silicone neck seal many years ago, I was not told that I did not have to cut it down, so I went through the same process I had used on latex seals, cutting off a number of rings to make it fit. It worked just fine. Just be very careful about cutting it.

Today I would be more likely to just replace it, which I did when I got a hole like that (a little lower) a couple years ago.

So how did you get it? I'll tell my (embarrassing) story if you tell yours. I was staying in a motel room, and I had forgotten to bring my normal drysuit hanger. I had to use the motel's hanger, and it was one of those where the hanger just has a knob sticking out the top that slides into a slot in the hanger permanently attached to the rod. I was taking the drysuit down the morning of a dive, and as I attempted to take the drysuit off the hanger, it slipped out of my hand, and that little knob poked through the neck seal.

What you have gotten for advice so far is pretty much correct. When I got my first silicone neck seal many years ago, I was not told that I did not have to cut it down, so I went through the same process I had used on latex seals, cutting off a number of rings to make it fit. It worked just fine. Just be very careful about cutting it.

Today I would be more likely to just replace it, which I did when I got a hole like that (a little lower) a couple years ago.

So how did you get it? I'll tell my (embarrassing) story if you tell yours. I was staying in a motel room, and I had forgotten to bring my normal drysuit hanger. I had to use the motel's hanger, and it was one of those where the hanger just has a knob sticking out the top that slides into a slot in the hanger permanently attached to the rod. I was taking the drysuit down the morning of a dive, and as I attempted to take the drysuit off the hanger, it slipped out of my hand, and that little knob poked through the neck seal.
Great story, John! I don't know how I got it. Pointy hanger bits is my best guess. Whenever I put the drysuit on a hanger I keep my hand over the pointy part when putting it in or taking it out of the neckseal, but maybe I missed once. Sometimes I just toss the drysuit in the top of my gear tub when transporting it rather than rolling it up and putting it into its bag so maybe it caught on something there

Back
Top Bottom