Repairing Mares Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd rather burn in hell! LOL :rofl3:

How am I ever going to sell these things if you keep bad mouthing them like this?

Put lipstick on them. :)

R..

Hmmm. Well, that sounds like as good a plan as any.

Tom,

Being a self confessed new diver, are you sure they are not still under warranty? Try talking to the dive shop and if that doesn't work give Mares a call and see what they have to tell you.

I once had a Dacor (now Mares) computer that started to develop a bubble in its mineral crystal faceplate. I emailed Mares a picture just asking if that bubble should be anything I should be concerned about. They wrote back telling me to take it to an authorized dealer and have it exchanged for a new one. I did so and got a new computer.

Hi Slamfire, unfortunately I bought the fins used off Ebay. Not exactly as described :/. Trying to make the most of it now.

I did post a message on their forum page, so I'll see if that results in anything.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a kind of glue to repair some Mares Volo Power fins. The rubber is coming off the plastic V shaped spine right at the end of the fins, I want to stop it before it becomes more and more detached.

I purchased a pair of Volo's shortly after they became available (key man price, dive shop instructor). After ~100 dives the hard/soft interface at the end of the fins failed. I took them back to the distributer and he said "wow, no one else ever had that happen." I'm pretty sure I was just the first to ~100 dives with that fin on Oahu.

I accepted a new replacement pair of Volo's, which did the same thing after ~ the same amount of dives. I had moved to Maui, changed employers, and I was still able to swim faster than any of my guests/students if I needed to, so I continued to use them for over 1000 dives. They looked pretty much the same (at the failed hard/soft interface) at 1000 dives as they did at 100 dives. They performed pretty much the same at 1000 dives as they did at 10 dives, they just looked ratty. I replaced them with Mares X3's, which cost less than $50 at the local Sports Authority and have no hard/soft interface to fail.

They are probably serviceable for another 1000+ dives. I don't even have a pair of booties currently; guess I should craigslist them and the ratty but serviceable over 1000 dives X3's. :idk:

I am confused about what part of this fin is being called the hinge?

halemanō;5223996:
I am confused about what part of this fin is being called the hinge?

The rounded part next to the holes in the middle, the part where it is designed to bend and thus send the force of the propulsion backwards instead of up and down.

Back
Top Bottom