Repairing steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior25

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Still new to diving and had a quick question about the galvanized coating on a set of steel tanks my friend gave me. The tanks are HP100's and i believe they are from ASAHI as they are marked from Japan and i can't find any other japanese mfgs. I sent them off to be hydro'd back in Jan and just got them back a few weeks ago. The area that they were stamped with the new hydro date cut into the steel giving it raised rough edges and chipped off the galvanized coating around the area.

So the question is, does this need to be touch up to prevent rust? If so it there something i can buy and do myself.

Another question, currently using a mares v42 limited reg, is the din conversion for this regulator compatible with the 300bar valve?

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks

You could us some cold galvanize and paint over that area. It is also called ZRC coating for Zinc Rich Coating. I have also seen it in spray cans. I believe most hardware stores have it.

Can't tell you about the valve.

Hello Junior:
I agree with Dave, aerosol ZRC is the best stuff to use. If you cannot find it at a local hardware store, your dive store can purchase it through XS Scuba.

junior25:
Hi all,
Still new to diving and had a quick question about the galvanized coating on a set of steel tanks my friend gave me. The tanks are HP100's and i believe they are from ASAHI as they are marked from Japan and i can't find any other japanese mfgs. I sent them off to be hydro'd back in Jan and just got them back a few weeks ago. The area that they were stamped with the new hydro date cut into the steel giving it raised rough edges and chipped off the galvanized coating around the area.

So the question is, does this need to be touch up to prevent rust? If so it there something i can buy and do myself.

Thanks

Galvanize has self healing properties so even if a small area has been removed it is still effective. I have galvanized tanks that have many hydro stamps and I have never done anything to them and they hardly ever rust in the stamped area.

Hey Cap:
I agree with you, that the "self healing" properties of zinc is true of steel cylinders that have been Hot Dip Galvanized. HDG cylinders are manufactured by Worthington, the old Pressed Steel Tank Company and a few others in past years. Though, it is not true of Asahi cylinders. The Asahi cylinder has always had a painted zinc finish, not HDG. From my experience running a hydro re-tester business, he would be best to paint the area of exposed steel with ZRC to prevent future rusting.

captain:
Galvanize has self healing properties so even if a small area has been removed it is still effective. I have galvanized tanks that have many hydro stamps and I have never done anything to them and they hardly ever rust in the stamped area.

junior25:
Another question, currently using a mares v42 limited reg, is the din conversion for this regulator compatible with the 300bar valve?
I believe it's rated to 200bar, but you might want to Email the manufacturer and ask about it with the serial number of your 1st stage!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom