Repetitive Dive Table Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USN tables were designed for "square" profiles. Jump in, go to set depth, perform task, ascend.

To further explain dive tables, PADI and others devoleped Repetitive Dive Planners using data that considered "multi level" diving.

The PADI tables (RDP) assume a square profile, exactly like the Navy tables. PADI also developed something called "the wheel" and the eRDPml, both of which allow for multi-level dive planning.

I think the Navy tables assume young physically fit divers. And a medical officer on hand and a chamber close by.

I have no idea what you mean by this. If she followed the tables, how could she have violated the tables and "died?"

She didn't really follow the tables (instructions), she just blindly worked through the math.

Her working the tables on 5x dives for two days- she conveniently ignored that part (in small print) about the required sitting-out and not diving as a penalty for her high-end computed pressure group.

So yes, she violated the tables. For many many dives. But she relied on her computer for reality- yet somehow thought working the tables (violations and penalties ignored) was of some value... It occupied her SI time.

In my observation of this, I encouraged her to correlate the computed pressure groups to the "number of pixels" displayed on her first generation DiveRite computer- to give you an idea of which century this occurred in. (I had a high tech Sea & Sea Profile 1000) She did note that there was a recognizable pattern developing.

Similar to another friend who, when she violated her computer in Truk, she simply pulled the batteries to reset it. When that "fix" was engineered out of more modern computers, she would hang it on a line off our ship in Bikin for the required deco. I have no explanation.

Or those people who scram one computer just to pull another one out of their bag and let the first one chill out on deck.

I didn't say it made any sense.

I once made up a mock waterproof case for the eRDP. Same value there.

The "Wheel" was waterproof, so there's that.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 06:20 PM ----------

The PADI tables (RDP) assume a square profile, exactly like the Navy tables. PADI also developed something called "the wheel" and the eRDPml, both of which allow for multi-level dive planning.

We said the same thing... You said it more betterer.

I want to thank those who provided input and comments concerning my questions on Repetitive Dive Tables and repetitive diving.
I have been working various repetitive dive profile problems, found on the internet, using USN tables, NAUI tables, and PADI tables. In general, the USN tables seemed to work best for a diver while stating the “maximum” NDL for the diver to make the safety judgements and should any dive exceed the NDL range, for any reason intentional or accidental, decompression times at depths are tabled for various depths should they be needed or planned. It is understood that the safety decisions become the responsibility of the diver.
I never really looked much at PADI Tables or NAUI Tables but was surprised to see that neither of these two tables that I found gave decompression times at 10 foot and 20 foot depths for decompression diving. I assume that it is because this type of diving is beyond what is considered “recreational diving”.
I was NAUI certified back in the 80’s and always used tables that were titled “US Navy Tables Modified for Sport Diving”. I only now started looking at the differences between various certification agencies and the safety factors designed into the tables. Interesting.
Bruce H.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom