Replacement MC-E LED head for Canister Divelight ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your timing is great, Will. I was going into pic withdrawal. :)

It looks great from here. The size is sweet, and your workmanship is first rate.

That's some mill you have there.

Your timing is great, Will. I was going into pic withdrawal. :)

It looks great from here. The size is sweet, and your workmanship is first rate.

That's some mill you have there.

Still more to go, but I tackled last night one challenge I knew I was going to have with the new Agro cable gland on the canister's lid - that hole from the plumbing fitting was larger on the top side of the hole than the threads for the Agro gland. This is how I solved that problem ...

You can see the new cable gland here on top left, and the existing plumbing fitting on the middle. That hole is tapered:
DSCF7138.JPG

Once I centered the hole, I drill it with the largest drill bit I have (1/2"), which is not large enough since the thread calls for a hole 37/64" in dia:
DSCF7320.JPG

So what that means is that I need a boring head for the mill. The one to buy of course is the ones made by Criterium, but I have not been able to snag one cheap on Ebay for many months. I recently found this large monster - and I could not resist the cheap price nor the beefy construction - it looks like it could have been hand-made, it is built like a tank and everything is fitted incredibly well. Unfortunately it is designed for 1" boring bars, so I knew I would need an adapter:
DSCF7322.JPG

DSCF7323.JPG

So I decided to make an adapter for 1/2" boring bars out of a 1" dia drill rod piece I had around. The hole in the boring bar is "exactly" 1.000 inches, so I had to slightly turn the drill rod for it to fit:
DSCF7324.JPG

DSCF7325.JPG

DSCF7326.JPG

I then drill and bored to get to 1/2" on the other side of the adapter:
DSCF7327.JPG

DSCF7328.JPG

I then took a piece of 1/2" drill rod and made my own boring bar:
DSCF7329.JPG

DSCF7330.JPG

DSCF7332.JPG

DSCF7334.JPG

and gave it the water hardened treatment once the edges look right to me (did everything by eye on the grinder):
DSCF7335.JPG

DSCF7336.JPG

Here is the hand-made boring bar and the adapter:
DSCF7337.JPG

I then drilled and tap the adapter for set screws - I later cut those much shorter:
DSCF7338.JPG

DSCF7339.JPG

DSCF7340.JPG

Here it is ready for use:
DSCF7341.JPG

and it worked awesome:
DSCF7344.JPG

DSCF7345.JPG

and I was able to tap the hole as needed:
DSCF7346.JPG

DSCF7347.JPG

Once I finished the tapping, just as I expected, I found that the tapered hole was bigger than the new fitting on the top, so I had to bore it deeper to get to "solid" threads, while still allowing removal if later needed to be replaced:
DSCF7348.JPG

DSCF7349.JPG

DSCF7350.JPG

and this is how it looks now - all possible after making my own boring bar:
DSCF7351.JPG

DSCF7352.JPG

Will

Looking good, Will. Who knew when I started this that it would require you to make your own tools? Certainly, not me.

Last edited:
Looking good, Will. Who knew when I started this that it would require you to make your own tools? Certainly, not me.

I expected some challenges on that cable gland for the canister's top, but the real surprise was what I found when I took apart the switch to replace the boot (which was all I was initially expecting to replace as part of this job). I also remember that you could not figure out how the light turn ON by itself, which caused the catastrophic failure/meltdown of the head. Now I know exactly how/why it happen ... the switch shorted internally. Let me show you ...

DSCF7311.JPG

DSCF7312.JPG

Look at all of the corrosion on the outside of the switch (the inside looked worst - photos below):
DSCF7314.JPG

and the boot looks fine, right?
DSCF7315.JPG

not quite:
DSCF7316.JPG

Plus, the switch itself was not sealed to the body - it was just being held in place by the boot. It would have been even better if a little silicone was used between the switch and the body so that water could not get inside the canister.

I did buy a new silicone switch boot I will replace it (old one on left, new on right), but I might try to find something thicker, more like the original boot:
DSCF7317.JPG

DSCF7318.JPG

Here are the innards of the switch once I got it opened - obviously seriously corroded:
DSCF7353.JPG

DSCF7354.JPG

With that much corrosion, it was only a mater of time before it shorted - now you know how your light turn ON by itself. As a preventive measure, it would be good to change this switch boot more often, even if "looks" OK. I am also going to modify slightly the switch's outer delrin cover to improve the ergonomics as you were telling me that it is hard to operate the switch specially when wearing gloves.

Will

Well, Will, it's good to know the likely cause of the "burn out". It's not so great to know that it was my own stupidity, but it's a lesson well-learned. I like to believe that I am particular about the maintenance on my gear. Clearly, I fell down on the job here.

Rubber boots always split. Its not a case of if but when.

Why not build a reed switch set up?

I like the idea of doing some experiments with reed switches and/or hall-effect sensors. I like the idea of a switch that is inherently water proof, specially something like the multiple-level selector ring that you have used in some of your lights.

One thing that worries me a little is how to prevent the reed switch from activating while in storage/transit. How can you keep external magnets (like speakers in the trunk of a car) from activating the reed switch? Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery while in transport?

Well, Will, it's good to know the likely cause of the "burn out". It's not so great to know that it was my own stupidity, but it's a lesson well-learned. I like to believe that I am particular about the maintenance on my gear. Clearly, I fell down on the job here.

Grant, no worries. Since you want to stay for now with a mechanical switch, I found a suitable replacement switch already:
DSCF7380.JPG

The original switch was sanded down in the corners to that it would fit, so I did the same with the replacement switch (new one on top) :
DSCF7381.JPG

As good as new:
DSCF7382.JPG

DSCF7383.JPG

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom