Replacement MC-E LED head for Canister Divelight ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that worries me a little is how to prevent the reed switch from activating while in storage/transit.
To keep magnet in position use these nuts (don't know right name) with ball and spring
nuts:wink:
How can you keep external magnets (like speakers in the trunk of a car) from activating the reed switch?
Don't worry will not :shakehead:

For IP68 toggle switch and right boot read canister-switch:lotsalove:
Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery while in transport?
You should do this anyway:lotsalove:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen on yours pictures putting AGRO glands in the plastic lid. The gland have only 4 screw turns ! I have wondered to put myself AGRO gland in to the reduce fitting nut from brass to get better stronger contact on plastic ?

To keep magnet in position use these nuts (don't know right name) with ball and spring
nuts:wink:

Don't worry will not :shakehead:
Never say never. I know of one case in Spain in which the car of a diver caught on fire due to a magnetic switch that went ON while in the trunk - the car was a total loss, but no-one got hurt. I don't know what type of magnetic switch it was, and I don't know if the light lacked a physical mechanism like the one you linked to, but as you said, disconnecting the battery is the simple answer.

For IP68 toggle switch and right boot read canister-switch:lotsalove:
Thank you for the link on the switch/boot - great reading. I have a copy of Steve's "Divelight Companion", so I ended up ordering the same part number from McMaster-Carr that Steve recommended - might as well stick with that works.

I have seen on yours pictures putting AGRO glands in the plastic lid. The gland have only 4 screw turns ! I have wondered to put myself AGRO gland in to the reduce fitting nut from brass to get better stronger contact on plastic ?

Although I really like the AGRO cable gland, that was also my own observation as something "weak" about their design, unless of course it was originally designed for threading into metal. To compensate for this, I drill/bored the hole before threading a little bit smaller, to get 75% engagement threads, as compared to the normal 60% engagement threads, plus I will apply silicone sealant to the hole and threads to give the gland a more sturdy seal (also another reason why I counter-sunk the cable glands).

I know these glands are used by other divers and diving-equipment vendors, so I wonder if they also apply sealant to the threads or not :confused:

How can you keep external magnets (like speakers in the trunk of a car) from activating the reed switch? Don't worry will not

I have made a littele experiment with several industrial reed switches ( which are put on pneumatics cylinders and very powerfull small magnet (8mm x 4mm could hold 1.5kg). Switch was activated only in special positions where it is magnet field paralell with reed switch contacts . From distance more than 10 mm no switch have made contact!
Summary
It is very important placing magnet or switch to made contact reliable.

It have some gray fields where a switch it is not connected/closed
More literature is here REED SWITCH CONTACT AREA other interesting literature for example current REED LITERATURE

unless of course it was originally designed for threading into metal....
silicone sealant to the hole and threads to give the gland a more sturdy seal

I think in the same way ! Silicone dont't glue to delrin , it is only way to fill air gap between threads of plastic and gland. I think that producer of Aquasure McMaster-Carr
have some ''cement glue'' to solve that problems.

I have made a littele experiment with several industrial reed switches ( which are put on pneumatics cylinders and very powerfull small magnet (8mm x 4mm could hold 1.5kg). Switch was activated only in special positions where it is magnet field paralell with reed switch contacts . From distance more than 10 mm no switch have made contact!
Summary
It is very important placing magnet or switch to made contact reliable.

It have some gray fields where a switch it is not connected/closed
More literature is here REED SWITCH CONTACT AREA other interesting literature for example current REED LITERATURE
Thank you much for the information. I have not used magnetic switches yet, so this helps me out a lot. I will definitely order some parts from Digikey and "play" with them on my bench to get familiarised with them :D

I think in the same way ! Silicone dont't glue to delrin , it is only way to fill air gap between threads of plastic and gland. I think that producer of Aquasure McMaster-Carr
have some ''cement glue'' to solve that problems.
Gotcha. I will not use plain silicone for this application. I did not realise that it would be more of a gasket material when used with Delrin - thank you very much for the heads up :D

I went and did a quick search and found this site has some good recommendations as to what to use with Delrin for underwater conditions:
Marine sealant sailboat repair

The site above has some recommendations (Polysulfide and Polyurethane), so I might try to find some to use for this specific application with Delrin.

Again, much appretiated with the tips/advice :)

Will

The new switch boot from McMaster-Carr arrived today!

Here is the original switch boot:
DSCF7406.JPG

Here is the one I bought first, but that it seemed too "thin" to me:
DSCF7407.JPG

Here on the left is the new one I received today - it feels as tough and thick as the original one:
DSCF7408.JPG

Grant,

Since you told me that activating the switch through the switch guard was hard, specially when wearing gloves, I did a small mod to facilitate access to the switch without compromising the guard:
DSCF7415.JPG

DSCF7418.JPG

now your fingers (even with gloves) will have a little bit more room to active the switch:
DSCF7416.JPG

DSCF7417.JPG

Will

I started work on the LED side a couple of days ago, and the head is almost done now ...

Warm White MC-E:
DSCF7355.JPG

paper guide to line up the holes for the hipCC driver:
DSCF7356.JPG

align MC-E driver and mark approximate locations for wire and holes:
DSCF7357.JPG

line up head in mill:
DSCF7359.JPG

mill cuts for wires:
DSCF7360.JPG

DSCF7361.JPG

DSCF7362.JPG

DSCF7363.JPG

Slightly bend the wires up, as I will be soldering the wires from underneath. That is why I cut those groves in the copper heatsink - this will prevent a short circuit with the metal reflector:
DSCF7374.JPG

Apply a thin coat of epoxy to the bottom of each wire groove - to provide electrical isolation:
DSCF7377.JPG

Using two-part thermal glue, center the emiter using the reflector:
DSCF7378.JPG

While it dries, test the hipCC (George from TaskLED tests 100% of his drivers prior to shipping, but I always test them before soldering in case I damage them by handling them, even though I use a grounded static wristband):
DSCF7384.JPG

DSCF7385.JPG

DSCF7387.JPG

Using 10mil thermal tape, set the hipCC in position, and wire the LED emiter:
DSCF7388.JPG

DSCF7393.JPG

DSCF7390.JPG

A quick test:
DSCF7391.JPG

apply epoxy to the wires and electrical connections to seal them from humidity, and also the holes going to the driver underneath:
DSCF7396.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom