Report: Wreck of the Chester Poling, 6/14/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On Saturday, June 14, 2008, on an impromptu NEUE trip, Chris S, Fran F and Mer made a trip to the stern of the Chester Poling off Gloucester Harbor on the Cape Ann Diver II and found good vis and neat widelife.

Great video and photos too. See more pictures here.

Video Credit: Chris Sawallich

Vis was in the 30-40' range, easily could see across the beam. Bottom temp was 45degF, with it getting a few degrees warmer (and significantly less vis) around the 40' mark. Tide was high and heading out. The end of the good early season vis is probably not too far away. Fran... don't get used to this vis, it'll turn you into (even more of) a sissy! And I would actually give Fran some credit, the Wolf Eel was uglier than Fran... if only slightly so! Tons of wildlife... the Wolf Eel was a surprising treat, as were the nudibranchs.

Despite living just down the road, I haven't been on the Poling for almost 2 years. It's amazing what a bit of training will do... nice relaxed dive, moving slowly and was able to notice a lot more detail, especially with the macro critters. The nudibranchs and other little stuff was really neat, and there is a ton if it to see if you stop to look. The depth of color is amazing. Amazingly clear inside the wreck, although we opted not head inside this time around.

Hardly any current, no surge, and it was the "Atlantic Pond" today. Beautiful dive.

Last edited:
Mer,
Good to hear you had a nice dive. And that you are still diving in cold water:)

Mer,
Good to hear you had a nice dive. And that you are still diving in cold water:)
I only complain about it a little!

Yes, thanks for posting this. My father did this dive several times in the 70's after it went down. He and his buddies were able to salvage several artifacts from the wreck when it was fresh. Brings back memories.

Could you post the video some place I could download it from? One thing I dislike about YouTube is that it does not allow downloads.

Nice, Mer! Good to see you guys getting salty. I wish I could say the same about myself!
You know... we can fix that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom