Requesting Information about an Old Schrader Mark V Helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moosehead

New
Reaction score
Hi All - I own an old Schrader Mark V helmet that was used by a long deceased great uncle who was a navy diver. It's been in the family ever since. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it. Here's what I know from looking at helmet:

• It was made by Schrader (not one of the other manufacturers.)
    Model No. 1
    No. 136
    Date says 1 - 1917

• Is there any way of getting information from the Navy concerning the hemet's history?
    How rare is this particular helmet, given that all of them are more or less rate?
    I know these are quite valuable. What impacts that value?

Thanks!

I have a friend who could help.But would need pictures to see condition.Also to see if it's is all original and if any parts are missing ect.Later Mike.:cool2:

Yeah they will try buying it from you for peanuts.If it all original and in good shape maybe 10k or more.

Your helment is a rare one and could be worth considerable money.

Founded in 1844 Schrader and sons began making helments in late 1840s and is considered the second oldest helment manufacture in the US. They made numerous models from 1840s.

In WW11 Schrader and three other companies were producing Mark Vs.

If yours is WW vintage and a true Mark V it will be a four light 12 bolt configeration.

For positive ID you should have pictures and a much better description.

I would suggest that you contact Leon Lyons in St Augustine, Floridia the author of "Helments of the deep" and the world's recognized expert on helments. If needed you may use my name as a reference,

<<FYI Helments of the Deep is a very rare and valuable book, last sold at auction for over $4000.00 and that was several years ago>>>

Good luck

SZDM

Hi Sam,
thanks for helping him out.
Your still up?
Jerry

When I said I had a friend that could help if you had pictures.I was speaking of Leon Lyons.I spoke to him before posting on this site.I am very good friends with him.Like I said a picture is worth a thousand words.Go lay down Jerry.:D

Thank you all! I will get some good detailed pictures and contact the person. This is exactly what I need.

Next to Miller Dunn, Schrader is the harder Mark V to find. Mark V's were first made in 1916 so yours is quite early. Low serial # makes this helmet special. Mark V's were the navys first standardized diving equipment. In 1915, Gunner George D. Stillson wrote a report for the navy brass on the pros and cons of all gear used by the navies of the world. The US wanted to standardize diving gear and the Mark V mod 1 was born. This report has been republished and is great reading for Mark V fans. If your helmet is a Mark V, it is a very early one. Mark V's are still made by Desco and Morse. New Schraders are coming soon. The navy used the Mark V untill the mid 1980's. Quite a run!

Back
Top Bottom