Rescue scenario..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the majority of the posters here... I would make pronto for the surface, keep the reg in the mouth and the head tilted way back, and go the full 60 fpm. My diving would also be done for the day (well duh! I just lost my buddy! I won't be in any frame of mind to dive again!!!)

#1,2 and 3 I agree with most. However; unless I missed this from someone else. You not put yourself in danger IF the other person has no pulse and is not breathing. THEY ARE DEAD. CPR etc does not bring them back to life. It sustains the Oxygen to the body (major organs). (This according to my CPR instructor). If this satement is wrong please advise. It would not make sense to put your life in danger. It solves nothing, but creates a good possibility of two grieving families. I am not an uncaring cold person but diving is a lot of common sense. This we must consider. The air will naturally escape the victims lungs and equalize. Butch

I pray to all the diving gods and others none of us are ever faced with this situation. Butch

This is me striking striking viking from my potential buddy list:nono:. Anyone else out there who renders assistance on the merit system? Please let me know so I can avoid you at all costs. :grrr:

1. A safety stop is just that - it provides an added margin of safety to already conservative tables / computer algorithms and therefore, if skipped, would mean that at worst I don't dive for the next 24 hrs so that takes care of scenario 1,3.

2. If I had JUST nudged the NDL limits then see above (again due to the conservative nature of the dive plans)

3. If a deco stop IS necessary the things get a bit more complicated. First, what is more dangerous - drowning or a lung expansion injury? I don't know (perhaps one of the medical regulators can help in this??). My gut reaction is that it would be better to risk a lung expansion injury for the victim than potentially drown him.

This is a very emotive issue and it may seem harsh to take the view of saving #1 but look at the flip side - what use are you to your buddy if you become a victim too?

If you are into deco diving then it seems to make sense to plan your dives accordingly - surface support would be an absolute MINIMUM in which case I would make my own stop and send the victim to the surface to be attended to by the surface support divers.

We lost a diver in the spring on a trip I was on - he was recovered from the water, was given CPR for 20 mins on board before being handed over to the EMS on shore where he was pronounced dead at the scene. The shock and sense of helplessness we all felt was indescribable but the only consolation I took from it was something the paramedic said on shore. He told us that they were trained to work from the premise that someone who is not breathing IS ALREADY DEAD - the BEST you can do is bring them back. NOTHING you do has caused him to die. Things sort of made a bit more sense from then and gave me the desire to go ahead and get my Rescue cert ASAP.

There is NO perfect answer to Warhammers query - no one really knows how they would react until the time arrived. I understand Striking Viking's stand (a sentiment echoed in a recent edition of Diver magazine entitled "How Low Would You Go") - what we would rationally do for friends or buddies would probably NOT apply if it was your partner or child.

1 and 2 Keep the diver with you. Watch his/her breathing. Do your deco stops.

3. The Navy says and I'm a firm believer that you have 5 minutes from the time you hit the surface to get air or O2 and return to your deco.

If your buddy isn't breathing then 3. should be ok. Just get back in the water or get to a chamber. You may end up with type 1 DCS and that's better than being dead.

With regard to #1 and #2 I'd make the recommended stops but be prepared to ascend if there was ANY change in breathing and if possible and practical shoot a bag or smb in an attempt to warn those on the surface of the emergency. I would probilily head straight to surface in my buddy's breathing was anything but normal.

On point #3, I'd head straight to the surface and if possible and as soon as possible begin implementing procedures for missed deco stops for myself.

It is when dealing with #4 (and the subsequent clarification by Warhammer) that many other various factors can come into play. #4 to my mind brings the rescuer into conflict with several "rules" with regard to diving and emergency response. First is the classic DIR rule #1 so if I undertook a (planned or unplanned) dive that in which I would incur a significant deco obligation without proper diver and surface support then I'd definately be pinning the needle on the stroke-o-meter and probabily deserve what I get. Remember the recent death of Garrett Wienberg and the IANTD training disaster a few years ago in West Palm Beach, both of which occured under similar circumstances. Additionally, #4 bring one into conflict with two of the "Golden Rules" of emergency response. The first is "Do no harm" and the second is "Don't create another victim(yourself)." By not ascending asap one is more than likely do harm to one's buddy by delaying access to EMS. But, OTOH, one certainly doesn't want to injury one's self. In some circumstances ascending to the surfaces not only harm both diver's but could kill them. As an example, when one dives around here during the off-season or off-peak hour (ie mid-afternoon weekday) or at a remote infrequently used site, it is possible to arrive at a dive site and see, say, 10-15 diver or no other divers at all gearing up for their dives, in the winter it is very often a buddy team finds themselves the only ones at the site, but when one surfaces there is nobody around. They are either still down or have gone home. In this case it is possible that a direct ascent to the surface could be a death sentence for both divers. Also bear in mind that a rescue is generally requires a large amount of energy and activity on the part of the rescuer ergo if the rescuer surfaces with victim the act of proceding with a surface rescue could, theoritically, exacerbate any DCI in the rescuer thereby rendering the rescuer incapacitated or dead.

Regardless, #4 is FUBAR and would probabily result in the death of at least one diver if not both.

Anyway I've ridden the clock enough here at work and it time to go home. Sorry to leave in mid-thought.

Sorry to ramble but you guys should be used to my rambling posts by now.

Peace and hoping none of us have to come face to face with #4,
Sam

I haven't read all the posts here, but I wouldn't even hesitate blowing NDL's and safety stops. Assuming there is support on the boat, and I was on the ascent line, I'd blow right through a pretty thick deco ceiling, hand the diver off to the crew, have them drop me down some more O2 and I'd hang for a while. You have a few minutes to get back down -- not recommended, but it might save you trip to the chamber. If the situation required the boat to leave promptly, I'd surface and hope for a mild case of skin bends -- otherwise prepare the chamber folks!

Heck, I'll take a trip to the chamber any day than see my buddy drown -- no question.

Mike

I carefully thought this out as an ex-EMT and a rescue diver. I am going on a few assumptions. The big one namely I have a dive boat at the surface.

As an EMT and a life guard you are always taught you are #1. No sense in two dead people.

Scenario 1 and 3 I'm on the surface. I have been trained on mouth to mouth in the water. Its a bear to do but possible. His weight belt will be gone. When we hit the surface so will mine.

Scenario 2... my Genesis resource says I was down too long and I owe 5 min at 15ft. We hit the surface I drop his belt and then I drop back down to 15 ft and do my 5 min provided I have air.

I would probably do the same in 4. I have to be honest I would probably risk the DCS to try to save his life.

Tom

I'd surface on all of them.
I am no doctor and can't jusdge the situation correctly. further more, imagine something happens to your buddy becouse of the stop! not only will you feel to bad but also be liable for prosecution.

The rules are clear here, an unconcience diver has to be brough up first of all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom