Research Project: Buddy Tracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to make a new type locator then make it so people can program them so if they get so many meters or feet away from the buddy then it sends an alarm

Done, Happy to help.

One note, there's a large gap (gulf) between what folks tell market surveys about interest & desire/willingness to buy & what happens in the real world when they actually have to crack open their purses. You might get help from within the university in analyzing your responses with an eye as to how wide this gap may be.

In any case, best of luck, both with this research project, and later possibly with a product.

(We get these things near the end of every semester, eh? :biggrin:)

I took the survey, but it suffered from several of the usual flaws, among which were:
  • The device is supposed to replace your computer and provide everything. All-in-one ideas in diving almost inevitably end up on the "What were they thinking?" pile.
  • The price has no bottom range. I might only pay $0-100 for a device.
  • The rental price has no bottom range. I might only pay $0-10 to rent such a device.
I would be very interested in a device that can tell me direction, distance, and depth. Make a standalone transmitter to attach to the anchor point, and everyone can have receivers to show which way, how far, and what depth. (This would be great in murky water and loosely structured sites.) Or make devices that both transmit and receive so each can show the direction, distance, and depth of the other(s). If they have multiple IDs that you can cycle through, that could be cool as well.

On the other hand, an all-in-one device will be discounted by each different diving demographic for various reasons, limiting the potential market to such an extent that it cannot conceivably achieve significant market penetration.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I'm only posting them here as there did not seem to be a place for general commentary on the survey itself.

Done. Would be interesting to see it in practice. As someone who dives low viz. areas it might be helpful.

Took the survey and am happy to help.

I have some feelings about this. So far, the only time I have had buddy lost or wandering issues is with instabuddies or new ones. No matter what device we use, awareness is key regardless and it is something all of us need to strive for in our training. I still have a long way to go in that but I am working on it!

Good luck!
Carolyn:sharks:
PS I am happy to admit that I am easily distracted by sharks!

Last edited:
Completed the survey. I had one question though. Would it be a device where you and your buddy would be required to own one or would one device work for the buddy team. If it was only one it would work, if it were two devices needed you would have to have a pretty regular dive buddy to make it worth the investment. IMHO.

Having an all in one device would make the cost of the device too high. It would reduce divers choices in computer configurations. I would like to see a separate buddy locator for a reasonable cost. Also having a method to home in on an entry point or anchor line would be groovy.

Could be very useful in low-vis! I'd agree with keeping it seperate from the computer- gives people more choice and means people who already have expensive gadgetry won't need to replace everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom