Research/Science Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem with the use of any appropriate media for any dive, but I suspect that I have a more liberal view as to what is appropriate and what is not. The use of any mixture(s) other than air or NITROX needs approval of the Diving Control Board on a project by project basis.

On a personal note, I don't see what the big deal is about alternate gas mixes. I've used NITROX mixes since the mid seventies and TRIMIX since the mid 1980s. It does not require a whole lot of extra training to deal with, in fact I'd say (and this is kind of a weird juxtaposition) far less than most recreational users get. But perhaps that's because the earlier training that recreational divers received was so poor and everything that they want to learn is a "separately priced product," so that recreational divers often have no knowledge of anything but air, and also don't know how to handle any planned for decompression.

Both NITROX and TRIMIX are wonderful tools, but there are times and locations where air is what must be used. Everything has risks, advantages and drawbacks.

I've only done a week or two of diving under "official" university business. That said I largely agree with Thalassamania's extended posts indicate what should be included to ensure a safe diving experience where the divers are skilled enough to focus on the science and not worry about the diving. The only hesitation I have with the AAUS standards is that they work well for a full-time researcher and diver, but not so well for those who only need t dive temporarily. My institution has some requirements similar to AAUS, but no full-time diving personel so My fiancee (who was working on her master's research) had to cancel all the diving portions of her project, because the course work could not get finished. 6 months after starting the instructor still hadn't found a time for the open-water dives.

One other thing think it's important not to talk down to scientific diving "students". Research scientists, graduate students and the like know what they want to do and need to be instructed on how to safely get that done. There's nothing I hate more than reading a dive manual written at a sixth-grade level and then going to a class where the instructor repeats everything in the book and fails to expand upon that. Most scientists are fully capable of reading, no need for a dive instructor to read to them. Perhaps I should shut up now, this is turning into a rant...

I've only done a week or two of diving under "official" university business. That said I largely agree with Thalassamania's extended posts indicate what should be included to ensure a safe diving experience where the divers are skilled enough to focus on the science and not worry about the diving. The only hesitation I have with the AAUS standards is that they work well for a full-time researcher and diver, but not so well for those who only need t dive temporarily. My institution has some requirements similar to AAUS, but no full-time diving personel so My fiancee (who was working on her master's research) had to cancel all the diving portions of her project, because the course work could not get finished. 6 months after starting the instructor still hadn't found a time for the open-water dives.
I guess I don't know what "dive temporarily" is, perhaps you could enlarge on that?

Most of the folks I've trained are working scientists and students. They are not "professional divers" nor are they scientists who are out diving every day. The tend to have a very active field season and then lay off for a bit and then go back, etc.

I don't understand being, "unable to finish the course work," does the course not have a schedule? If you'd rather discuss these things in private ... take it to a PM.
One other thing think it's important not to talk down to scientific diving "students". Research scientists, graduate students and the like know what they want to do and need to be instructed on how to safely get that done. There's nothing I hate more than readding a dive manual written at a sixth-grade level and then going to a class where the instructor repeats everything in the book and fails to expand on that. Most scientists are fully capable of reading, no need for a dive instructor to read to them. Perhaps I should shut up now, this is turning into a rant...
You're right on the money there, it's one of the reasons I'm working on a book. We always used the NOAA Manual and UNESCO's International Code of Practice for Scientific Diving, neither of which are on a 6th grade level and both of which have sufficient top and diversity of information and opinion to assure a lively seminar model classroom session.

I guess I don't know what "dive temporarily" is, perhaps you could enlarge on that?

Most of the folks I've trained are working scientists and students. They are not "professional divers" nor are they scientists who are out diving every day. The tend to have a very active field season and then lay off for a bit and then go back, etc.

I don't understand being, "unable to finish the course work," does the course not have a schedule?

What I mean by temporary is, for example, a student who only will be diving for one season while collecting data. I think this is different from someone who will be diving frequently over several years or more. Here the program to be an approved diver can take quite a long time. I don't have a problem with full staff tanking a normal course, but I know projects that have been canceled because the scientific diving program takes too long.

What I mean by temporary is, for example, a student who only will be diving for one season while collecting data. I think this is different from someone who will be diving frequently over several years or more. Here the program to be an approved diver can take quite a long time. I don't have a problem with full staff tanking a normal course, but I know projects that have been canceled because the scientific diving program takes too long.
Well ... they can always write me into the grant, I'm sure that the U of M DSO would take a letter from me.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom