retaining a DIR knife ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz:

Ok, stupid question. That looks like a Remora dive knife. If so then it comes with a perfectly good plastic sheath that holds the knife just fine. Why would someone go to the trouble to make a nylon one? I could understand if they were prone to breakage or something, but I've been diving a lot over the past few years with Remoras and haven't had one break yet.

EDIT: Spelling

And what did you guys do about this - did you complaint to TSA?

Atticus:
Ok, stupid question. That looks like a Remora dive knife. If so then it comes with a perfectly good plastic sheath that holds the knife just fine. Why would someone go to the trouble to make a nylon one? I could understand if they were prone to breakage or something, but I've been diving a lot over the past few years with Remoras and haven't had one break yet.

EDIT: Spelling
Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

FreeFloat:
Where? He was saying the Remoras aren't prone to breakage.
He said that maybe the plastic housings can break........ but he hasn't seen one break.

Is it therefore fair to draw the conclusion that they never fail?

Heck, my UK Blue Tang barely even stays in its plastic sheath anymore.. the spring loaded clip is worn down so much it falls out easily.

How DIR is it to use a plastic sheath with small parts that can break or fail (button, very thin plastic where the belt goes in, etc) where you can use a piece of fabric that really doesn't have any failure mode whatsoever?

I lost about 3 knifes before getting my Akona. I lost a knife on my very first OW dive in class. It had a plastic lock case.

The Remora doesn't work very well in the nylon sheath either truthfully. I have one and decided to give it to my wife with the Akona sheath. She dropped it about 3 times her first day, so I got the Akona. It stays put really well and is there when you NEED it. It also doesn't rust like the Remora does. You have to clean the Remora and use Silicon Spray every dive or two. I 've cleaned the Akona a couple of times, but mostly just leave it in there and don't do anything to it but check it every couple of dives...

The Akona knife is wider at the top, which holds it in by itself. If you've got the 50 bucks get it or get the knife from 5th D, which I've seen guys use without the retainer.

Mark

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom