Reverse Sinus Block - OWIE!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
After spending a good part of Thursday night at this incident and getting a couple lungfulls of smoke when the wind shifted, my lungs and sinuses didn't feel so good on Friday. Since I also didn't sleep more than about 1 1/2 hours, I called off Friday's diving. Today however, I popped an Aerosmith CD in the stereo and headed down to Whittier. Met a couple guys there who had heard I dive there a lot and wanted a tour guide. Sure! Since one of them was unknown to me I suggested a pretty easy dive down to the plane and back. The profile for this dive is a pretty mild slope in both directions with a max depth of 54' with the lowish tide. I noticed I had to pay attention more than usual to clear my ears on the way out (usually it's almost automatic - no effort), but no problems on the slow ascent.

The unknown buddy bailed on the 2nd dive, so the other guy and I buddied up and went to the tank car and debris pile. Same issues with ear-clearing as the first dive, but thought nothing of it. Max depth 71' and when my buddy reached the agreed-upon turn pressure, we headed upslope. This was a much faster ascent rate of ~ 10-15'/min. I had to slow that down a bit as my ears were squeaking and the sinus pressure was building. OW!! The ears cleared OK but the sinuses did not. The stops at 30, 20 and 10' helped a little, but I still had a screaming headache and blood-n-snot showing in the mask.

Loaded up on NSAIDs and generic sudafed and the headache's almost gone. Tomorrow's dives will most definitely be conservative and sudafed-assisted, though I'm not optimistic about finding a buddy due to the superbowl.

Snowbear:
After spending a good part of Thursday night at this incident and getting a couple lungfulls of smoke when the wind shifted, my lungs and sinuses didn't feel so good on Friday. Since I also didn't sleep more than about 1 1/2 hours, I called off Friday's diving. Today however, I popped an Aerosmith CD in the stereo and headed down to Whittier. Met a couple guys there who had heard I dive there a lot and wanted a tour guide. Sure! Since one of them was unknown to me I suggested a pretty easy dive down to the plane and back. The profile for this dive is a pretty mild slope in both directions with a max depth of 54' with the lowish tide. I noticed I had to pay attention more than usual to clear my ears on the way out (usually it's almost automatic - no effort), but no problems on the slow ascent.

The unknown buddy bailed on the 2nd dive, so the other guy and I buddied up and went to the tank car and debris pile. Same issues with ear-clearing as the first dive, but thought nothing of it. Max depth 71' and when my buddy reached the agreed-upon turn pressure, we headed upslope. This was a much faster ascent rate of ~ 10-15'/min. I had to slow that down a bit as my ears were squeaking and the sinus pressure was building. OW!! The ears cleared OK but the sinuses did not. The stops at 30, 20 and 10' helped a little, but I still had a screaming headache and blood-n-snot showing in the mask.

Loaded up on NSAIDs and generic sudafed and the headache's almost gone. Tomorrow's dives will most definitely be conservative and sudafed-assisted, though I'm not optimistic about finding a buddy due to the superbowl.

It would be interesting to start a poll of how many divers have ever had a reverse block. I had a good one in Mexico once. Ruined an entire week of diving by ignoring a little cold. Even days after it happened I was still getting blood in my snot and I couldn't even put my head 6 inches under water with a snorkel on. Talk about pain. I hope you're able to dive tomorrow.

R..

I've had it happen ONCE, and it was NOT pleasant.

Unfortunately I was completely unaware of the problem on the way down; it blocked on ascent and, of course, there's nothing you can do to force equalization of the sinuses - so all you can do is ascend VERY slowly.

Felt like someone had a jackhammer inside my sinus.....

NOT fun.

Hello,

I've had several sinus blocks when I was young and stupid, now i'm older :) and learned to never dive with sinus problems. I have horrible allergies and most of the spring/summer is spent in misery and unable to dive because of it. The best thing to do is lissen to your nose! if it's causing issues then don't dive at all untill it's clear, rx will/can cause blocks/reverse blocks quite easily.

Ed

The pain, oh the pain!

Started a poll.......

Genesis:
of course, there's nothing you can do to force equalization of the sinuses - so all you can do is ascend VERY slowly.

I have to disagree with this. I've found a technique for clearing reverse blocks that works quite well for me. If I stop and turn the ear causing me pain towards the bottom and the clearer ear towards the surface, after a moment or two it will usually *pop* then clear as the trapped air seeks equilibrium. If both ears are causing a problem I just alternate.

I am lucky to say I have never had a sinus block( had a few good sinus squeezes though).

One time a few years ago I had air trapped in a bad filling once that started to hurt on the way up after a dive to 90 ft on a wreck called the Daryaw. Kinda sounded like a dentists drill inside my head as the air escaped. zzzzzzzzing

Needless to say I stopped and went down a couple feet then proceeded VERY slowly up the mooring line less I blow the tooth apart.

Went to my dentist the next day and he had never heard of such a thing and thought I was pulling his leg until I convinced him otherwise.

Snowbear:
After spending a good part of Thursday night at this incident and getting a couple lungfulls of smoke when the wind shifted, my lungs and sinuses didn't feel so good on Friday.
Got this forwarded via email at work...
Subject: Asbestos Exposure(s)
Importance: High

I put a copy of an MOA Solid Waste Services evaluation of the fire at 3231 Spenard Road in the ISO basket in my office for your review and/or file.

In short they determined that Asbestos was found and that we should treat the situation as though the byproducts were friable and is to be treated as Regulated ACM (RACM).

You will see that it is not a high exposure potential due to water and ice, however, our personnel may well have been exposed during firefighting efforts by incidental contact with smoke and/or carried by other airborne by-products of combustion, then inhaled even though well away from the fire area.

Please complete an exposure report for all personnel who responded to the fire that lists (includes) the names of all individuals alphabetically.

Thanks / **
One good thing - Though they resented it at the time, I made my crew wear their SCBA's while we were working on ladders up in the smoke. :D

This is how I would have written the memo.

Subject: Asbestos Exposure(s)
Importance: High

I put a copy of an MOA Solid Waste Services evaluation of the fire at 3231 Spenard Road in the ISO basket in my office for your review and/or file.

In short they determined that Asbestos was found and that we should treat the situation as though the byproducts were friable and is to be treated as Regulated ACM (RACM).

You will see that it is not a high exposure potential due to water and ice, however, our personnel may well have been exposed during firefighting efforts by incidental contact with smoke and/or carried by other airborne by-products of combustion, then inhaled even though well away from the fire area.

Please complete an exposure report for all personnel who responded to the fire that lists (includes) the names of all individuals alphabetically.

The only known treatment for reversal of their contamination is have them secure any working material that is in the open. Once the work space is secure have all employees respond to the diving spot of their choice and GO DIVING. Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT return to work until you feel that you have had enough diving and need stress added to your life.

Please leave an address where we can send your disabality checks.

Da Boss.

Back
Top Bottom