Trip Report Review of Dive Mike in PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back last month from a split Cozumel/PDC stay. We usually dive in Cozumel but wanted to check out PDC reefs and cenotes. To understand the basis of my review, we are experienced and independent divers that just want a ride to the site. I have a dozen or so cenote dives but my partner had not experienced them.

To make me completely happy, I want: low cost, online website, prompt response to emails, accurate and complete info, be on time for pickup, run a safe operation, and let me dive my plan (within reason).

The cost for a 2-tank ocean trip and a 2-tank cenote was $185 each. That is about the lowest that I found. We paid a small deposit in advance and the rest in cash upon arrival. The website provided most info and Jorge responded quickly to all emails and answered all questions.

Carolina greeted us warmly upon arrival, handled the paperwork, and told us to be at the shop next morning at 8:00am. It was probably 8:30 before we left the shop. The procedure is to carry/wear all your gear and walk a few hundred feet to the beach where you wade out a few feet to the boat. That's probably true for all ops as there are no dive boat docks. That's fine but you need to take only what can get wet. This was the trip we forgot to bring a drybag.

Our DM for the ocean dive was Candy, who seemed competent and friendly. She gave us a loose rope during the dive while watching a newer couple a bit closer. Briefings were accurate. The biggest drawback is that dive times were limited to 40 minutes and enforced. We came up both dives with over 1200psi. That seems to be a shop policy as another DM with another group had the same limits. I don't know if that is typical of all shops in the area or not.

We gathered same time next morning and headed out in a truck to Chikin Ha cenote. Jorge was our guide and seems very knowledgeable, thorough, and friendly. There were about 15 of us, divided into 4 groups and start times and routes staggered so that we seldom saw other divers underwater. The cenote was closed to the public and opened for our groups. Limits were set at typical cavern "rule of thirds". Our dive times were about 50-60 minutes.

All in all, I'd give them a B on the ocean dives and an A on the cenote dives. The thing I'd most like to see improved is extend the ocean dive limits to 60 minutes.

Thanks for the report. What did you see in the ocean? Would you dive a cenote again?

Do they require you to ocean dive with them first?

We dived Tortugas reef and Caroline's reef. Tortugas was fairly flat with soft corals and sponges, moderate fish. We stayed around 60-70'. Caroline was shallow, under 30', tons of fish especially schools of various grunt.

I'm a big fan of cenotes, my partner likes them but prefers fish and warm water. However, we will probably dive Dos Ojos next trip.

You do not have to ocean dive with them before cenote diving, as far as I know. That was simply our schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom