Review: Vintage Double Hose #18 Argonaut Wing (VDH)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Received my new Vintage Double Hose #18 Argonaut wing yesterday. I am very pleased! The heavy duty construction, quality materials, craftsmanship and value are all well known here on SB, but the compact size of this wing is really incredible. My other wings (past and present) are wide, long and thin resulting in the dreaded taco syndrome even with a trace amount of air in the bladder. Conversely, the VDH is roughly the same length, but much more narrow. The internal perimeter cord integrated into the outer shell insures the thickness will increase well before the width or length are ever affected, so if air is added to the bladder the wing profile is kept to a minimum.

Lisa has an earlier version of this wing, so I knew what to expect. However, today was the first time I attached the Argonaut to my Freedom Plate and it is simply amazing. After many years of searching and contemplating different wings I finally have a compact and streamlined BP/W configuration! Moreover, my carryon backpack will be a breeze to pack with this little wing. I attached pictures of the Argonaut installed on my Freedom Plate and on my aluminum HOG plate for those interested. You can see in the pictures this latest version of the Argonaut has longer cam band slots to accommodate pretty much any backplate.

I will be diving the VDH wing next month in Bonaire, so I will post an update then. Thanks Bryan!

Attachments

• ABF3588B-9FF2-4C37-ABA4-8EAB89EEC42A.jpeg
    ABF3588B-9FF2-4C37-ABA4-8EAB89EEC42A.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 645
  • F589B66B-9770-4F4B-86F4-33A5745AB492.jpeg
    F589B66B-9770-4F4B-86F4-33A5745AB492.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 610
  • C07DEC7C-1627-4B12-B7A2-8F535804762D.jpeg
    C07DEC7C-1627-4B12-B7A2-8F535804762D.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 665
  • D46B1A06-8964-4B51-BA73-ABA8A379948D.jpeg
    D46B1A06-8964-4B51-BA73-ABA8A379948D.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 643
  • 3FB540F0-58CD-4F51-9A78-F82D35C8DF9C.jpeg
    3FB540F0-58CD-4F51-9A78-F82D35C8DF9C.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Nice review Soloist,

You are correct on all counts-it's a very well made wing. I have about 75 dives on mine now and it still looks new.

Now if we can get Bryan to move the embroidery to the outside of the wing where it can be seen instead of hiding behind the tank, people would stop asking who makes it. ;-)

Just finished setting up mine for a dive trip next week. It's a 23# wing with Freedom Plate. I will send a review after the trip.
IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1376.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 568
Just used mine for our May '18 MX trip and it is sized perfectly for the warm waters and the Freedom Plate. Rinsed and dried it still looks brand new. No abrasions or wear to be found. Looks like they've changed to a round inflator hose?

However, today was the first time I attached the Argonaut to my Freedom Plate...

Pics show two different attachment bolt setups. Is your new setup using the sex bolts or have you stuck with the stainless bolt/nut combo?

If you are sticking with the sex bolts, do you have a link to the version you are using?

Thanks

@OWIC647 : is the 23# no more? I thought I had the 23#, but when I only saw 18# in the store, I wrote my review on it being such (still love it immensely, 18# or 23#).

Last edited:
@OWIC647 : is the 23# no more? I thought I had the 23#, but when I only say 18# in the store, I wrote my review on it being such (still love it immensely, 18# or 23#).

I'm still feeling out the market. After a lot of feedback from divers using the #35 they noted that it's compact size made it just a little larger than the #23 and they didn't mind having the extra lift available even when diving with single tanks and minimal thermal protection.

Pics show two different attachment bolt setups. Is your new setup using the sex bolts or have you stuck with the stainless bolt/nut combo?

If you are sticking with the sex bolts, do you have a link to the version you are using?

Thanks

When you expand a thumbnail pic on a thread it chains ALL the pictures together for the entire page, so I think you are viewing both my rig and CarcharodonCarcharias rig. I have an older standard Freedom plate with a plastic book screw and the other is a new Freedom Contour with stainless steel hardware. Hope that clears things up.

If you are interested in the older version more info can be found here on post #125 of this thread.

What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

I've met one in the wild. Material choices and design details are outstanding.

It's amazing to dive without the drag of a badly shaped oversize sea anchor of a bcd on your back.

If I needed a single tank wing the VDH #18 would be the one.

Glad to see good reviews!
Cameron

When you expand a thumbnail pic on a thread it chains ALL the pictures together for the entire page, so I think you are viewing both my rig and CarcharodonCarcharias rig. I have an older standard Freedom plate with a plastic book screw and the other is a new Freedom Contour with stainless steel hardware. Hope that clears things up.

If you are interested in the older version more info can be found here on post #125 of this thread.

What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?
Yeah, I just realized the thumbnail photos are in the same reel for this thread.

@TASCPA - I will be happy to talk about my setup if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom