Review: Vintage Double Hose #18 Argonaut Wing (VDH)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@TASCPA - Aren't you the one with a Mares 22 wing on your freedom plate and took it to Fiji?

Yep. Put this little 18#er on for MX to try it out. Worked perfectly. Like them both. One real advantage of the smaller VDH is less of a chance to pinch the bladder when dropping the tanks into their on boat storage. Mares is longer.

@TASCPA - I will be happy to talk about my setup if you want.[/QUOTE]

What crotch strap are you using?

Yep. Put this little 18#er on for MX to try it out. Worked perfectly. Like them both. One real advantage of the smaller VDH is less of a chance to pinch the bladder when dropping the tanks into their on boat storage. Mares is longer.
True. My other setup is DRIS and the dump valve is ruined because the HOG SS plate keeps sitting on it from the tank slots during all my dive trips.

This is the review for my new BP/W setup. I just got back from diving in Donggala and it was a great trip. The equipment held up well and it was really comfortable. I will probably need few more dives to work out wrinkles and fine tune the setup.

Backplate: Freedom Contour SS plate

Wing: VDH Argonaut 23#

Harness: DGX Dive Rite Deluxe with 2” crotch strap

Exposure: Rash guard, compression tight, and DGX neoprene dive shorts.

No weights and positive buoyant fins (Aeris/Oceanic Accel fins)

I will review the wing here and please find the review for the plate here.

Review: I decided that I want a second setup (for tropical diving) a while ago. I’ve been shopping around and getting great and sound advice from fellow members in this forum (Thank you all by the way). Then I came across the Freedom Contour (FC) thread and after perusing it, I was sold. I phoned Eric when I was back home for Christmas last year and met up with him at Santa Rosa to pick up the plate. I finally had the chance to put everything together took it out on a dive trip last week.

I asked Eric about the best wing to match the plate as well as @TASCPA about his combo of FC and Mares wing. But after some thoughts and some digging, I decided to go with VDH 23# from Bryan. I am really glad that I’ve made that call because I just cannot believe how small the wing was when I received it. After I rigged everything up, I strapped it on and I cannot see the wing and the plate in the mirror with my frontal view. I only saw the straps and that was it – no visual of the wing and plate. My friends were astonished by the minute dimension of the entire setup.

I took the setup for a dive trip last week and the wing worked awesome! The compact design hugged the tank instead of wrapping the tank hence it did not taco at all underwater. It also reduced the drag from the currents on couple of the dives and I felt the difference immediately from my previous dive. And because it was small, I did not have to try squeeze every inch of my wing to let out air when my tank was half full.

The material on the wing is really solid and it is pretty well-made. The stitching is really tight and I really think I’ve hit a home run with this setup. But again, I’ve only got 10 dives with this setup so I’ve got other kinks to work out. I will post more observation later should I find something worth of mentioning.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 320
Are the Freedom Contour back plates being produced again?

sometimes....

What length LP hose are people using with the 13 in inflator?

hard to answer. Tank position, regulator port configuration, where you want the inflator to sit, etc. all weigh in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom