Rhapsody of the Seas- bummer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Well this is turning into one dissapointing vacation. Yesterday before we got onboard they moved our room. Ok not a big deal, it's smaller than the one we had but the only issue there was having to wait in a second line for the room change. Get on board and find out that we're not going to GC after all but to Costa Maya. Dissapointing but not terribly unexpected. At 3am they turned the water off and it didn't come back on until 6:30. There was no/ limited coffee for breakfast and many grumpy people not just me. The seas are very choppy and it seems that a full half the ship has dissapeared. Then for dinner I get the notice that my diving excursion for key west tomorrow has also been canceled. I get the feeling I brought my gear for nothing but the extra weight!! The room steward has been terrible. I rarely see him in the halls and he didn't replentish the sodas we drank for breakfast (no coffee) until just before dinner when I asked him to. I had even called room service this afternoon to ask for them to be replaced. I seriously doubt I'll sail royal carribean again. Carnival's elation was cheaper with far better service.

Frustrated at sea on day 2 with 5 more to go!!!

Judy

What a bummer! Here is the marine weather for Key West and the Florida Keys:

GMZ052-053-054-072-073-074-075-160930-
ATLANTIC WATERS FROM OCEAN REEF TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 60
NM...INCLUDING THE FLORIDA KEYS NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY-
1030 PM EST MON NOV 15 2004

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY

OVERNIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 25 KNOTS AND GUSTY...DECREASING TO
NEAR 20 KNOTS AND GUSTY BY MORNING. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 7 TO 10
FEET... EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO
4 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS VERY ROUGH. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

TUESDAY
NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS AND GUSTY. SEAS
BEYOND THE REEF 6 TO 9 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS
INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS ROUGH. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.

I'm not sure you would want to dive (if you could) with 2 to 3 foot seas. Have you checked with the private dive shops:

SUBTROPIC DIVE CENTER
http://www.subtropic.com/
(305)296-9914 (800)853-DIVE
* Fax: (305) 296-9918
Email:info@subtropic.com
1605 N Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040
Dive Key West with the island's friendliest dedicated dive center. Subtropic's dive facilities include our complete retail center and we have all levels of instruction including a one day resort scuba experience.

They run 2-tank morning and afternoon trips.

Here is another:
DIVE KEY WEST
http://www.divekeywest.com
(305) 296-3823 (800)426-0707
* Fax: (305) 296-0609
Email:info@divekeywest.com
3128 North Roosevelt Blvd. Key West, FL 33040
Our friendly, professional staff is dedicated to providing you with a memorable dive vacation. Please call or e-mail us with questions on diving the waters surrounding our lovely island.

No coffee on a cruise ship is dreadful. I hope you can work something out with your diving. Good luck!

redhatmama:
What a bummer! Here is the marine weather for Key West and the Florida Keys:

Thanks for the info. No I don't want to do my first ocean dives in rough water. Just kinda dissapointed but that's the way it goes. Better safe than drowned! I'm hoping that cozumel isn't canceled as I really want to dive palancar.

well good luck with coz, its a great place to dive.

Thats too bad on cruise. Ive sailed with RC twice & had good times on both even tho time on board is spent eating & waiting to dive at next port.Im not into drinking or gambling so I spend a great deal of time on private balcony with wife watching the sea go by.

RAD Diver:
Thats too bad on cruise. Ive sailed with RC twice & had good times on both even tho time on board is spent eating & waiting to dive at next port.Im not into drinking or gambling so I spend a great deal of time on private balcony with wife watching the sea go by.

A balcony would have been such a blessing on my one and only cruise. Good luck with the Cozumel diving jstuart1. Give us a dive report when you have time.

we got back a few weeks ago from the same ship and we did not have the problems you are having, infact we had a wonderful time. they put you in a smaller room, they would have to do something pretty special for me to move to a smaller room. we knew that gc was not going to happen so we booked a couple of dives with blue ha in mahahual(costa maya). jono & tanya did a great job on the reef dives that were only a couple hundred yards from their shop in a 6 pack boat. when you get off the ship and get to the shopping area there will be a booth in the center of the sidewalk. go there and ask for blue ha. they will take your money, give you a recept and take you to the taxi stand. the taxi will get you to blue ha. the recept is so that they can collect their money from the people in town. this will be more clear when you see what i am talking about. my wife had only 5 dives at the comal and clear springs before the trip and the kids at blue ha took very good care of her. i would recomend them and they are members on here as well. check out my costa maya thread for some more info. it is here COSTA MAYA DIVE INFO . sorry to hear about the problems you have had, hopefully it will get better.

jstuart1:
Well this is turning into one dissapointing vacation. Yesterday before we got onboard they moved our room. Ok not a big deal, it's smaller than the one we had but the only issue there was having to wait in a second line for the room change. Get on board and find out that we're not going to GC after all but to Costa Maya. Dissapointing but not terribly unexpected. At 3am they turned the water off and it didn't come back on until 6:30. There was no/ limited coffee for breakfast and many grumpy people not just me. The seas are very choppy and it seems that a full half the ship has dissapeared. Then for dinner I get the notice that my diving excursion for key west tomorrow has also been canceled. I get the feeling I brought my gear for nothing but the extra weight!! The room steward has been terrible. I rarely see him in the halls and he didn't replentish the sodas we drank for breakfast (no coffee) until just before dinner when I asked him to. I had even called room service this afternoon to ask for them to be replaced. I seriously doubt I'll sail royal carribean again. Carnival's elation was cheaper with far better service.

Frustrated at sea on day 2 with 5 more to go!!!

Judy

You didn't include the exorbident rates to use the computer.
YOu will never see me post when on a cruise. I'll wait till I get home.

Thanks for the info on Blue Ha. Got in touch with tammy via email this morning and am scheduled to dive with them at 10am on Thurs weather permitting. Thanks again for posting the info both in this thread and the one on Costa Maya diving. I am excited about it.

Judy

kman458:
we got back a few weeks ago from the same ship and we did not have the problems you are having, infact we had a wonderful time. they put you in a smaller room, they would have to do something pretty special for me to move to a smaller room. we knew that gc was not going to happen so we booked a couple of dives with blue ha in mahahual(costa maya). jono & tanya did a great job on the reef dives that were only a couple hundred yards from their shop in a 6 pack boat. when you get off the ship and get to the shopping area there will be a booth in the center of the sidewalk. go there and ask for blue ha. they will take your money, give you a recept and take you to the taxi stand. the taxi will get you to blue ha. the recept is so that they can collect their money from the people in town. this will be more clear when you see what i am talking about. my wife had only 5 dives at the comal and clear springs before the trip and the kids at blue ha took very good care of her. i would recomend them and they are members on here as well. check out my costa maya thread for some more info. it is here COSTA MAYA DIVE INFO . sorry to hear about the problems you have had, hopefully it will get better.

Yes it's expensive. More so on the Rhapsody than on the Elation. At least there you could get a package deal for time. I email Hubby every day since he doesn't come with his mom and I so I figure a few extra minuites to post to the board is just entertainment cost. I don't drink much or gamble.

Wish me luck and calm seas. I'll post a short dive report if I get to dive. Then a better one with pics when I get home.

Judy

DEEPLOU:
You didn't include the exorbident rates to use the computer.
YOu will never see me post when on a cruise. I'll wait till I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom