Riding marine life

What is your opinion on large marine life interaction? Choose 1

• What is wrong with riding a whale shark, manta or turtle? They probably like it.

Votes: 21 9.8%
  • Touching is okay but riding? Nah.

Votes: 43 20.1%
  • Riding, even touching, is a definite no no.

Votes: 95 44.4%
  • Marine life molesters should be shot, then reported to the authorities.

Votes: 55 25.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My view is take pictures/video - leave bubbles.

I'm not one for touching stuff but will not hesitate if I need to. I'm not a fan of touching for touching sake. After all, I would not want any other species to reach out a paw me when ever they like.

I wouldn't do it because I have no interest to. But my same old song-- With the depletion of fish and other aquatic life worldwide by industry, I think riding one is much ado about nothing.

I see that your poll is SLIGHTLY biased.

I KNOW!!!! What if I wanted to knife the person rather than waste a bullet? :popcorn:

Edit

And FTR I take the same approach as Dave. I go out of my way to never touch anything but will not hesitate if I need to. With me it is always a last resort though.

I think you lump too many things into one option. My closest selection would be option 1 (although please drop the flippant "They'd probably like it").

Grabbing a Turtle? Might give him a shock, but basically no harm, no foul.

Grabbing a Manta or a Whale Shark? More possibility of wiping secretions of the skin and exposing him to disease or injury. I won't wilfully endanger an animal's wellbeing for fun. I'd apply the same rule to Stingrays and Morays (hey, I've seen it done...), but Darwin is slowly taking care of that for me.

I am not exactly a serial Turtle grabber, but I have done it. I have yet to see one keel over dead. Given the number of Turtles I have seen with old propellor damage and shark bites, I am guessing they can put up with a bit of stress without serious long term ill effect.

Seaworld is a perfect example of where looking is worse than touching and where one of the incarcerated residents made its thoughts known earlier this year.

There should be more concern about cowboys and mammals on land.

Why does anyone have to touch a turtle or whale shark?

I think making justification for that kind of arrogant and inconsiderate behavior is pathetic and transparent. Just like I wouldn't buy a ticket into Sea World, I wouldn't touch a marine mammal --or any other wildlife for that matter-- because we simply do not fully understand the consequences of our stupid human behaviors.

We have ALL been taught not to touch marine life... so again, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TOUCH IT? One good reason please?

Rhone Man:
I think you lump too many things into one option. My closest selection would be option 1 (although please drop the flippant "They'd probably like it").

I agree.

Rhone Man:
Grabbing a Turtle? Might give him a shock, but basically no harm, no foul.

Grabbing a Manta or a Whale Shark? More possibility of wiping secretions of the skin and exposing him to disease or injury.

I believe the opposite. Turtles breathe air, by grabbing or riding them you could be preventing them from surfacing when they need to breathe. We are much more likely to make each other sick by shaking hands than to harm a shark or ray by touching it. Fish routinely survive and recover from injuries that would quickly kill a land animal.

I've touched turtles, rays and sharks. My decision to do so is based on how they react to me. I do not have a blanket rule to never touch (there's no reason for such a silly rule) nor do I set out to touch everything I see. I do usually pet Long Spine Urchins.

I do not have a blanket rule to never touch (there's no reason for such a silly rule)

I fail to see what is so silly about setting out on every dive to not touch anything. What is silly about it. It is a way of diving. "Take only pictures, Leave only Bubbles" (or any of the hundreds of likely variations). There is nothing silly about that philosophy.

I'm too busy over-weighting myself and space-walking on reefs to worry about riding animals. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom