Riding Rock Inn; San Salvador Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking forward to diving from Columbus Isle next month. I've dived here before and it was excellent diving, and my wife keeps happy with all the other stuff to do at Club Med. The food is also great.

Reactions: mbs
The shop transports your equipment to the boat where it stays all week. Your wet suit gets hanged in a locked cage next to the dock. The only thing I carried back and forth was my computer and camera. It is about a 5 minute walk to the harbor from the resort.

Hi Peeweediver,

I have a specific question about the walk from the resort to the harbor. My wife has multiple sclerosis, so we usually choose dive resorts that are pretty compact, and do not require much walking over uneven ground. I have thought about doing a trip to San Salvador Island and staying at Riding Rock Inn, but I have never looked into whether it would be suitable for us. In general, a walk of a couple of hundred feet is not an issue, provided it is over level ground and a good path. Longer than that tends to be a problem. A related question is whether they might have a golf cart or something similar for transport if this turns out to be problematic.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might have.
Erwin

I would love to hear a recent report. I was there in 1989......

Hi Erwin:
The walk is over flat ground. Maybe 150 yards? I do not know if they have a golf cart, but I'd just email and ask. It's a tough call on the walk. The other option would be the Club Med on the island. There is a recent review on Scuba Board of diving with them. Not our cup of tea, but it may work from a more compact nature. We stayed at the harbor between morning dives. We didn't walk back to the room.
The diving is wonderful for the Caribbean. The resort itself is more like a motel, but, worked for us to be able to do that diving. My two favorite spots for compact diving are CoCo View in Roatan and Buddy Dive or Capt Don's in Bonaire. From the thought of diving to being in the water is a very short time span. Good luck.

Rob

...I have a specific question about the walk from the resort to the harbor. My wife has multiple sclerosis, so we usually choose dive resorts that are pretty compact, and do not require much walking over uneven ground...

Have you checked out any of the properties in the Cayman islands that have Reef Divers as the onsite dive op? The 3 resorts are the: Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, and the Little Cayman Beach Resort.

They are small resorts that offer valet diving services that may work well for your wife and I know that the Dive Pirates organization hosts annual trips to the Cayman Brac Beach Resort for divers with disabilities - so they should be set up and experienced to assist divers with special needs at that location.

Have you checked out any of the properties in the Cayman islands that have Reef Divers as the onsite dive op? The 3 resorts are the: Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, and the Little Cayman Beach Resort.

They are small resorts that offer valet diving services that may work well for your wife and I know that the Dive Pirates organization hosts annual trips to the Cayman Brac Beach Resort for divers with disabilities - so they should be set up and experienced to assist divers with special needs at that location.

Thanks Kathy. That is excellent advice. Actually, Little Cayman Beach Resort is our favorite dive destination in the Caribbean, followed Compass Point on the East End of Grand Cayman, and Cozumel; that is for all of the reasons you mention. I was curious about trying a new destination. Thankfully, it is usually not a problem to work with the dive shop. My wife can walk moderate distances, and is actually quite athletic in the water (no balance required). She usually gears up sitting at the rear of dive boat and rolls into the water. We just have to watch out for hills and spread out resorts. You also mention Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman. I have heard good things about this spot, but have never tried it. Maybe that will be on the list for a future trip.

The walk is over flat ground. Maybe 150 yards? I do not know if they have a golf cart, but I'd just email and ask. It's a tough call on the walk. The other option would be the Club Med on the island. There is a recent review on Scuba Board of diving with them. Not our cup of tea, but it may work from a more compact nature. We stayed at the harbor between morning dives. We didn't walk back to the room.
The diving is wonderful for the Caribbean. The resort itself is more like a motel, but, worked for us to be able to do that diving. My two favorite spots for compact diving are CoCo View in Roatan and Buddy Dive or Capt Don's in Bonaire. From the thought of diving to being in the water is a very short time span. Good luck.

Thanks Rob. Excellent information. I think I will contact them about the golf cart, but it sounds doable without, if need be.

look at google, the Riding Rock and the Marina are not that close. Back when I dove there, they shuttled us to the marina each time.

look at google, the Riding Rock and the Marina are not that close. Back when I dove there, they shuttled us to the marina each time.

Thanks. That indicates that they can shuttle divers. Good info. I will email to verify before I book it to be sure.

I'd also suggest going to the web site, and getting the toll free phone number. Some times it's best to talk with them. I believe the number is to the Miami "office".

Back
Top Bottom