Riding Rock Inn; San Salvador Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much as I love ClubMed on San Salvador, it is very spread out! If it was possible to get a room located between the sea center and the main area - pool/dining room/etc.. it may limit distances. I just do not trust them to honor requests for a location. You would also probably prefer ground floor. LCBR would have been my suggestion as well, but I see you have found that one :wink:

Thanks Kathy. That is excellent advice. Actually, Little Cayman Beach Resort is our favorite dive destination in the Caribbean, followed Compass Point on the East End of Grand Cayman, and Cozumel; that is for all of the reasons you mention. I was curious about trying a new destination. Thankfully, it is usually not a problem to work with the dive shop. My wife can walk moderate distances, and is actually quite athletic in the water (no balance required). She usually gears up sitting at the rear of dive boat and rolls into the water. We just have to watch out for hills and spread out resorts. You also mention Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman. I have heard good things about this spot, but have never tried it. Maybe that will be on the list for a future trip.

I have never stayed at Cobalt Coast but we visited the resort in October and went diving one afternoon with the Reef Divers op because we wanted to try them out - since we already like LCBR and CBBR. It seemed like a nice, small, diver-dedicated place. It is on the north end of the west side of the island (up near Hell) and it is not easy to find - even with GPS! You will probably need to rent a car, just like the East End. The waterfront is mostly ironshore but they have a small area of beach.

It is not a big place and there are tile, cement, and board walkways around the property, but there is a short flight of stairs down to the pier, so that would be something to ask about.

If you are used to diving the East End at Compass Point then CCGCR would give you a chance to dive the North Wall. They offer 2-tank boat dives in the morning, one-tank dive in the afternoon (at an extra charge) and you can do unlimited shore diving at no charge on the house reef - on days that you are doing boat dives. I have never tried shore diving there, but I have heard that it is a longish swim out to the best area and that the area gets winded out pretty easily, so shore diving isn't always available.

I would think that boat diving would be regularly available, they could dive the north side or the west side depending on the weather. Search this forum for reports about the resort since it was purchased by the Tibbetts family over a year ago and Reef Divers became the onsite dive op.

Good luck!

Erwin, if you want to try someplace different have you looked at St. Croix? Or maybe even Hawaii?

Erwin, if you want to try someplace different have you looked at St. Croix? Or maybe even Hawaii?

I have done a lot of the accessible destinations in the Caribbean, including St. Croix, which I liked very much. I plan on going back there one of these days. I have only been diving once in Hawaii, but I was not that impressed really. If we are going to travel that far (we are based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana), it makes more sense to go a little further and go to Fiji, which we have really enjoyed. I was just looking for a new Caribbean destination for us, and I think that Riding Rock looks like a reasonable choice. Thanks so much for all of the feedback, though. It is much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom