Rinsing

When do you rinse?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys just use water or do you soak your gear in water with some type of cleaner? If so what?

Fresh water tastes funny, so I only dive salt. So I rinse after every session, even if I am diving the next day.

When I get off the boat, I rinse. I actually rinse my computers on the boat if there is a freshwater shower/wash down. When I get home, everything but the tanks goes into a tub. Regs are pressurized and I soak for hours.

Do you guys just use water or do you soak your gear in water with some type of cleaner? If so what?

I just use liquid Ivory soap in the soak water.

Salt daily at the end of each day, and a super soak and flush at the end of the trip.

Fresh why bother unless the water is stinky or muddy or whatever.

I wash my drysuit UW about once a year. I even wash my drysuit about once every 2-3 years! :eyebrow:

Salt daily at the end of each day, and a super soak and flush at the end of the trip.

Fresh why bother unless the water is stinky or muddy or whatever.

I wash my drysuit UW about once a year. I even wash my drysuit about once every 2-3 years! :eyebrow:

:dropmouth::tmi2:

When it comes to those (2) times yearly when I won't dive for a month I use baby shampoo. For the wetsuit and inside BCD. Otherwise just a hose and water.

I'm on three years with my undergarments and still have not washed them:D, I just let them air out hanging off the deck every once in a while. I do have the old lady give them a sniff test every so often and she has not gagged yet:wink:.

Andy
That explains the smell last week at Nubble. Just kidding, do you ever rinse/wash the inside of your suit?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

The reason I bought Atomic regulators was because they are perhaps more corrosion-resistant than most. I rinse my stuff after each dive if practical, but it isn't always practical. Sometimes I do multiple dives off an outrigger canoe. The camera gets suspended over the side between dives and the dive gear is on its own. Liveaboards will sometimes hose the group's gear down at the end of the day--I doubt that is extremely effective--and sometimes it doesn't get rinsed until the end of the week. Nevertheless, my gear soldiers on year in and year out, without the intervention of devoted professionals:

I am currently waiting on parts for a BC that the customer dives once a year in Bonaire, the only place he dives anymore. He washes his stuff pretty good, but misses the details of clean up. Rinsing gear after every dive is awesome, but do you rinse everywhere that needs rinsed? No substitute for taking your gear to a pro who knows what to look for and can help you in perfecting your maintenance rituals! Try getting that from liesurepro.

:rofl3:

Another service I didn't know I needed, and happily did without for decades. The fact is, scuba gear is pretty robust and requires a minimum of care. Perhaps you can extend the service life of a bc by having it professionally maintained regularly. But it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new one when the old one gives out.

Last edited:
Some people don't have a clue about BC maintenance.
I picked up a wing from a diver in Florida that had salt rocks inside the wing.
The wing looked great on the outside, but the bladder was full of salt crystals and large chunks of salt.
I needed to soak the bladder for a few days to get all the salt out, and did an ultrasonic cleaning of the valve along with a rebuild of the valve.
This wing now looks and works great for my backup wing.

Jim Breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom