Roatan Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiburon72157

Reaction score
Looking to go to Roatan next month for a week. And would like some feedback from folks who have been there, on where to stay, dive, eat, travel packages, flights, gotchas, etc. Thanks in advance...

Give us some idea of what you are looking for. Are you pinching pennies, or looking for the nicest place, even if it's expensive? Possibilities on Roatan range from backpacker heaven to some pretty nice resorts.

well... Roatan is really made for the package deal, with meals included. the island
is not very conducive to striking out at night to find somewhere to eat.

i would reccomend CoCoView resort. it's a great dive package, with good food, and
awesome staff. they have quite a large following of hardcore fans:

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

tiburon72157:
... Roatan...would like some feedback...on...gotchas, etc.

Gotchas? :devil_3: They're variously called Sand Flies, Sand Fleas or No See Ums.

Like everyone else responded. More details required from you! (Same as the last go round)

RoatanMan:
Gotchas? :devil_3: They're variously called Sand Flies, Sand Fleas or No See Ums.

Like everyone else responded. More details required from you! (Same as the last go round)

...and some of the bites don't seem to show up until days after you leave! :D (don't ask me how I know!)

Deep Woods Off is your friend! :D

H2Andy:
well... Roatan is really made for the package deal, with meals included. the island
is not very conducive to striking out at night to find somewhere to eat.

i would reccomend CoCoView resort. it's a great dive package, with good food, and
awesome staff. they have quite a large following of hardcore fans:

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/
It all depends where you stay. If you wish to go independant,then West End is your best option. There are numerous places to eat at night, some quite Excellent. Everything you need as far as lodging,meals,bars and diving can be had within walking distance. Going independantly is a VERY EASY thing to do if that is the type of trip you are looking for. There are various options for lodging depending on your budget.

Hey, it is a little different place, but if you are looking for good conversation, friendship and a truely wonderful vacation...please check out these guys... http://www.reefhouseresort.com/ Been there once and am going back next week. Truely great diving, excellent food and the most friendly people possible. I know there are a lot of Coco View supporters on this site and that is a very good resort, however; if you want to get off of the beaten path, have a great vacation, I wish you would do the research, examine the properties and make your own choice. Larry and Carol at the Reef House would go out of their way to ensure that you had the best experience possilble. I you don't believe me, check out the reviews at; http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where=body&returnTo=&geo=1&SearchTeaser=(your+destination,+hotel+or+attraction)&q=Reef+House+Resort,+Roatan&submit.x=21&submit.y=4

Just my humble opinion, but give the place a chance.:D

Sincerely;

Squashie

Well, here's my take on it. Definitely take something to ward off the sand fleas (they are plentiful and vicious). Try anything you like, but take DEET to back it up. Make sure you pack anything you absolutely can't live without in your carry-on. TACA is notorious for losing luggage. We loved Anthony's Key Resort. The service is great and the dive operation is first-rate. If you stay there, you will generally eat there, because West End is too far away to eat all your meals there. The food at AKR is pretty good and dining there just makes everything so easy.

Zebra mussel:
It all depends where you stay. If you wish to go independant,then West End is your best option.

what's the dive ops in the West End like? i assume the boats stick close by,
and don't go too far?

how does the diving compare to the south side?

Why not come and ask us, if you want more info on roatan and the bay islands in general pm me or check out my username to find out where to get info.

For sure you want some info though, come to west end and do some dives here-you wont be bored as there are a ton of different sites close by, you can dive for 20$ per tank in shopin around and if your here 2 weeks make sure you ask to cut you a deal on going further afield. I would also say that let us know about your experiences at our local forum. coco view and the all inclusives will cost ya more i think.

thanks

drink me

mojito

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom