Roatan Aerial Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the second seat and he told me I could keep my feet on the pedals. I have to admit though I was a naughty girl and had my hand on the stick a few times. The intercom wasn't working well or I would have begged for a chance to fly it. We asked if we could bring our rigs and jump out next time!

CUunderH2O:
What is that rusty hulk half in/out of the water? Which part of the island is it located on, and is it diveable?

It is just East of the runway on Roatan, lying in 10>30 feet of murky water. There is another wreck just off the runway that is also dead aground.

the divable wrecks in Roatan are the Aguilla (in 100' off on NW coast), The Mr Bud (in 35-55 ofrf of Little French Key) and the Prince Alvert (35-55 in front of CoCoView). The jado Trader is off of Guanaja. Otherwise- that's about it.

The remains of the "Isla Mia" lie off of FIBR Shoal, a truly historic wreck in the dive indiustry.

Near freefall2's home base, heading East- there are several rusting hulks of shrimpers awash in bays and shallows- as there is in French Harbour- no diving, though.

A former Honduran Congressman and I tried to buy the rights to the wreck you saw in the photo- we wanted to turn it into a restaurant/bar called... what else? "The Wreck".

Roatan Man - I see that the Odyssey is not in that list. Supposed to be on sand bottom 300'+ long. What's the deal with that one? I'm going to CCV next week for the first time and was hoping to do that one.

bcaderunr:
Roatan Man - I see that the Odyssey is not in that list. Supposed to be on sand bottom 300'+ long. What's the deal with that one? I'm going to CCV next week for the first time and was hoping to do that one.

Brain fade. Absolute bzzzzzzt.

See this http://www.subwaywatersports.com/About/roatans_wrecks.htm

My apolgies.

Oddysey- deep and not done regularly from CCV. They do it on the Utila day trip sometimes. Not a lot of growth yet- kinda deep.

The Odyssey is on the north side east of Anthony's Key Resort. I found this on the AKR site:
Odyssey
Type: 300ft. multi-level ship
Depth: 112 feet
Max Depth: 120 feet
Min Depth: 40 feet
Sunk in: 2002
Skill: Wreck diver certification is recommended
North coast of Roatan, a 12-minute boat ride from AKR

The sinking of the 300-foot Odyssey off the north coast of Roatan is being hailed by dive enthusiasts as one of the Caribbean’s largest shipwrecks.
This wreck provides visitors to the island numerous dive opportunities to fully view the multi-level ship, which measures 85 feet from keel to mast and 300 feet from bow to stern.
From AKR, a 12-minute boat ride east finds the Odyssey resting on a sandy flat. Divers may follow the top of the mast at 40 feet and descend to the top of the bow at 70 feet. Then explore the bulwarks or cargo hole level at 80 feet, the bow at 107 feet and the stern at 120 feet.

We usually dive on the south side because that is where we live but the wind was blowing yesterday and it was pretty rough so we put the Boston Whaler on the trailer and launched it at an abandoned marina on the north side almost directly across from where we live. We dove the dolphin caves and then checked out a spot we hadn't been before, it turned out to be a better snorkel than a dive. We also stopped for a soda at a resort that opened on the weekend. Turquoise Bay. It looks really nice and has a great menu so we'll have to try them for lunch or dinner soon. Subway Watersports has a dive shop there now too.

Here is a shot of my dive buddies gearing up in front of the reef at the dolphin caves:
60699361-M.jpg

This is Turquoise Bay Resort from the water:
60736334-M.jpg

Wow, thanks for the fast feedback. Any idea how long a boat ride it would be from CCV -- assuming decent conditions for the trip and their willingness to go? I'd just like to know before I make the request. I've already dove some of those other wrecks from the Bay Islands Agressor a few years ago. Hence my desire to see this "new" one. 4 days and counting!

OOOOOHHHHHH, to be by the Ocean. One of these days but not anythime sooooon

Thanks for the info about that wreck. I wonder if FIBR does day trips to the Odyssey. My buddy and I are avid wreck divers, and we're heading down to FIBR on April 1st. Odyssey's profile sounds similar to that of one of our favourite wrecks, the Keystorm (bow at 20 ft, stern at 120). See my photo website for pics.

By the way, Liz; nice photos. Makes me wish I could live there, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom