Roatan Dive Resort for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are out on a boat with your own private group of three and your dive leader is an OWSI, so much the better- if he's willing to work as an OWSI for the pay of a DM.

I couldn't agree more with this point, but most of the rest of what you say I disagreee with. Instructors have received more training in the art of coaching.

The fact that when teaching Open Water and AOW they are constantly practicing their skills at trouble shooting their students problems makes them more likely to give useful feedback to people when guiding a dive.

You ask why would an instructor downgrade to DMing? DMing is an excellent change from teaching so many instructors are very happy to do it as part of their full time job, variety is after all the spice of life!

There is also good motivation to improve your customers skills early in the week so that you can enjoy taking them on more and more challenging dives. This means that giving a bit of FREE advice really is no skin off an instructors nose. In fact it is a good sales technique, give lots of great advice and a fun diver may just decide to take that next course.

This thread started about how to find a dive leader who will give useful hints and tips to improve their diving. To me that sounds like they would like some further instruction, so contrary to Roatanman's advice, i recommend finding an instructor to help you with that.

HTH

Will

My wife and I along with another couple spent a week in January at Reef Resort on the east end of the island in Oak Harbor. The wife of the other couple is inexperienced and the DMs went out of their way to make her dives enjoyable while improving her skills. The resort is a small family owned all inclusive operation. We plan on returning in the future.

My wife and I were in Roatan the first week of May. We stayed at and dove with Bananarama the entire week. I can't say enough good things about their operation. You mentioned buoyancy control issues as a concern. I was pleasantly surprised when our dive leader, Sophia, went to great lengths to ensure that we were weighted properly. As an OWSI, she really knew how to help my wife through her buoyancy issues. After the first few dives, she no longer had buoyancy issues!

On deep dives, Sophia added a DM or DMC to the group to make sure everyone had a safe dive. Everyone we dove with there was patient, friendly and had eagle eyes for the small critters.

We can't wait to go back and stay with them again!

Nick Hardy

Welcome to the sport! Roatan is great - we've been going there regularly since 1993 and love it.

Coco and AKR are definitely the best resorts on Roatan. I'm partial to Coco, having 5 trips there in nearly as many years. It's a very nice laid back place, and very very good for divers. Read the reviews on tripadvisor.com, and you'll get a very good flavor for the place. Stay away from Fantasy Island - it's NOT where you want to stay, trust me.

I've stayed in a Beach House only once and it was great. Please note that a few of the BHs do NOT have AC in the Bedrooms - so they would be darn hot and humid this time of year. The details of each house are on Playa Miguel.

If you want to know anything about Coco that you don't get from TripAdvisor.com, just email me (I can even talk on the phone if you like). jkling@nac.net.

That beach house may be sold out at any time - so if you haven't gotten accommodations yet, you better hurry ...

I also agree with the others about getting some additional training fast for buoyancy control. With some quick help adjusting your weight, breathing, etc you will both progress much faster as divers, enjoy it all so much more, and use much less air.

I stayed at Fantasy Island Beach Resort with my husband back in February 2008. We were quite happy there. Rooms were big and clean - though it took us 2 days to get a proper king size bed. We were originally in a room with two twin beds - and pushing them together does not for romance make. The diving is the same as CCV, they are across the little bay and have the same dive sites. We actually met a couple who switched from CCV to FIBR because they wanted air conditioning and more food choices. At FIBR its all buffet, not too spectacular but not bad at all. The week we were there, there was lobster at dinner two nights. Along with steak and chicken etc. We did not go hungry. The diving was also great in Roatan. We enjoyed being able to snorkel and dive from the gazebo, night snorkelling was fun. We also did the night boat dive which was great, though there were sea wasps when we came to the surface (make sure you wear a suit, and turn off your torches). We also did the shark dive on the island too, it was amazing! Oh, and the guy that manages the dive shop is great ... his name is ... ? starts with an R. Initially he seemed a bit strict, but then you realized he really just wants to make sure we all dive safely.
Hope that helps : )
p.s. When we were there we heard some gossip that AK's dive op had left a diver behind, but then went back and found him. Apparently they did some staff restructing afterwards.

Both have basically the same buffet and every room at CoCoView has air conditioning. There are a couple of the privately owned beach houses, Playa Miguel that don't have air conditioning, but every resort room does.

ALL the rooms at Coco View have AC. Even the over-the-water bungalows and cabanas.

Most of the beach houses DO have AC - but only in the bedrooms. The URL link details which have it. A few of the houses don't have ac BRs and some really like that - I happen to like it for sleeping - it can be quite hot and humid down there. My house did have it - and it was GREAT having a house. The washer/dryer really came in handy - as did the stash of popcorn.

+ 1 on the shark dive - I've done that twice and it's totally worth the extra money. Can't say that i agree as to Fantasy though - check out the trip advisor reviews - our friend from Toronto got lucky. I know someone that was there with a group of 60 people there last year and it was a cluster ...

The diving is the same as CCV, they are across the little bay and have the same dive sites.

Close, but no, not the same. CCV lies about 110' closer to the Prince Albert Wreck and the swim from CCV is through fairly clear water.

FIBR runs three dive boats during the day, 1 tank on each. You sign up for them much as the system is for any European dive operation. FIBR limits its moorings to French Key to First Bight, the one exception is Mary's Place. The average number of dives per guest day at FIBR runs about 1.8 each. FIBR's DM's usually feed fish on every dive, so you are assured of quite a good display and turnout.

CCV assigns you to a boat, you may ask for a different one. They leave at 0830 and 1400, you get two dives off of each. CCV does a few more dives East of French Key and often goes quite far West, Calvin's Crack is a guarantee among others. The average number of dives per day by a CCV guest is about 3.2

I did the above math over a several week period that had FIBR borrowing filled tanks when their compressor was down.

Actually, the greater breadth of dive sites done by CCV is rather irrelevant. True enough, many divers marvel at the underwater geography of Mary's or Calvins, but the "good stuff" is everywhere in that zone~ if you can see past the quite noticeable differences in the wall shapes. Either resort will take you to the good places, CCV just has a wider range and more moorings. Again, absolutely irrelevant.

One of the most spectacular vistas is an easy shore dive from either resort, that is CoCoView Head, the Westernmost outcrop and overhang of CCV wall.

It is very hard to understand the differences between the two operations (or any group of choices) unless you have seen them all. I think the food is similar, but much more reliably palatable at CCV. I actually like the stuff, as does my pick eater bride. FIBR has good and bad food weeks. FIBR used to get high marks for serving mediocre food, just because there was a waitstaff, an absolute anathema at CCV. Presentation means a lot, and FIBR usually has a pretty good presentation! At CCV, there is a sign; "So it aint home~ adjust". Many regular fans have.

I used to like the CCV rooms better before they sealed them up and put A/C in them, but that's what people seem to think they want. I preferred their setting on stilts over the breezy crashing reef, but marketing demands superceded the reality of no need. But the rooms at FIBR, being far inshore, always needed the A/C. The rooms at FIBR are bright and tiled with TV, phone and quite comfy. The rooms at CCV are more like tree houses, but you still have a great porch and view. There are a few at CCV (the Oceanfront rooms) that are pretty similar to the FIBR rooms, but they have a much better view. They're all AC now with the exception of one or two of the Playa Miguel Beach Houses. In that CCV sealed up the Cabanas and Bungalows for AC, I jut get one of the (on shore) Oceanfront rooms instead.

You can't beat FIBR for a good time with a little diving. Being of a Euro based guest list, they get things cranking at 2100 hrs, and the party goes on until 0100 hrs when the crowd demands it. It has a pretty beach and when operation, they do have a pool. Again- it is usually the cheapest deal in town- and nowadays, that is a deciding factor in travel.

People that want to be wet go to CCV. No pretense of anything more than being a dive resort in the classic sense. It hasn't changed a lot from its first days. What sets it apart is quite intentional. The creator went out of his way to give it that Robinson Crusoe look, all quite intentionally. It was so well done, that it's architecture and design look absolutely accidental and blends into the jungle with its colors and textures. It was designed to cooperate with the environment, not resist it.

Which one is for you? Be really honest with yourself, a lot of people end up at one or the other place and find out that it really wasn't the best choice for their needs. I can absolutely tell you one thing, though: If you like one of the two, you'll hate that other one. There's no way to know what you don't know, but you can make a wise informed decision in advance.

Decide what you really need and want from a vacation, Roatan's choices (as previously noted) goes far beyond these two interesting All Inclusive Resorts.

Back
Top Bottom