Roatan - Fantasy Island trip report 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fantasy Island Resort , Roatan Aug 1 – 15, 2009

Went in early August due to special pricing $749 +16% tax for lodging, meals, 3 boat dives / day plus unlimited shore diving. Drinks and nitrox were included. This was our third visit in the last six years.

Flew with Delta from Newark via Atlanta. $537 /pp.

Resort
The resort could use some tidying up - painting and regrouting(earthquake damage?). The pool was replaced since our last visit and is much nicer than before.

We got a room on 2nd floor of main building since these have a high ceiling and feel roomier. The rooms were quite comfortable, clean and spacious(as hotel rooms go). Each room had a small porch facing the beach. Ours was only 50 feet from the water.

This resort as well as most others in Honduras are hurting due to the current political situation. Visitors from the US are down and those from Europe are nonexistent. In order to fill the rooms they have been offering special rates to the neighboring countries (kids stay for free). This made for large crowds with many small children on the weekends. The beaches were much more crowded than usual and there were lines at meals along with kids running around everywhere. This situation is likely to continue until the political issues are resolved so if you don’t want to have a lot of kids around you might want to go elsewhere for a while. During the week there were still more kids than we experienced before but it wasn’t too bad.

Beaches
There are two beaches, one for snorkeling and one for swimming. The swimming beach was in a cove and had lots of shade available from palm trees and palapas. The sand was white and was raked daily. There is a sandy bottom so the entry was nice. There was some grass in the water but not until it got too deep to stand. This was a great beach for sunning as well as swimming.

The snorkeling beach was best accessed via the gazebo. You have a choice of staying close to shore and snorkeling in 4 – 5 feet of water or swimming out about 100 feet to a section of coral that was between FI and CocoView resort. Both areas offered nice snorkeling though the Cocoview reef was nicer. We snorkeled the reef one night with our dive lights and found lots of interesting creatures including crabs, two types of lobster, porcupine fish, Nasau Grouper, conch, tarpon, an octopus, brittle stars and red shrimp hiding in the coral. We also saw squid and several interesting juveniles between this reef and Cocoview though we did not find much in the grassy areas.

The gazebo next to the snorkeling beach is the starting point for shore dives. From here you can explore the wreck of the Prince Albert, CocoView and Neuman’s wall as well as the aforementioned reef in front of Cocoview. You can request to be dropped on top of these sites and save yourself the swim. To do a shore dive you just go to the dive shop and ask them for tanks and take a small boat to the dive site. When your dive is complete you drop your tanks at the gazebo and walk your gear back to the dive lockers or your room. The phone that was used to call for the boat to pick you up at the gazebo was no longer in place.

Bugs
We saw very few bugs but they sure were around even though they are now spraying te sand in the morning. Be sure to bring bug repelant and use it regularly. Be aware that high DEET content can dissolve rubber and neoprene.

Dive Facilities
There are five dive boats each of which can handle up to 20 people. We used three boats with 8 – 12 divers on each. The boats handle up to 15 pretty comfortably but any more would get cramped. You are assigned a boat and stay with it for the whole week.

There is a locker room with about 90 wooden “lockers” each of which is about 2 feet by 7 feet with one shelf which is fine for one person though probably a little tight for two. You can leave your equipment here all week. The room is locked up at night.

There are jet skis available for rental though thankfully none were in use during our stay. There are two small planes which offer island sightseeing tours.

The ride to the dive sites was between 5 minutes and 20 minutes. The weather for these two weeks was very good raining only a couple of times and that mostly at night. The wind was high on a couple of days and that resulted in large waves but for most days we had maximum seas of 1 – 2 feet.

Food
Breakfast and dinner were served in the main dining room and lunch was served in the outdoor restaurant except when there were too many people in which case it was served in the main restaurant.

We thought that the food was not as good nor as varied as it was on our previous visits. They have eliminated the lobster night that they used to have – cost cutting by the new owners. For breakfast there were omelets made to order as well as the other typical breakfast stuff. They have a very good banana ice cream made in Roatan as well as an excellent flan (grab a piece when you see it because it may be gone by the time you’re ready for dessert).

Lunch and dinner usually included a chicken dish, a pork dish, fish, and beef dishes. Usually there was one dish that was prepared on the grill or carved.

Diving
The visibility was not great (40 - 50 ft) which was somewhat worse than during previous trips. There were few moray eels to be seen (4 green and two others) over the two weeks and no rays. There were, however, quite a few seahorses, grouper and lobster. One group on our boat saw a large manta ray but, of course, we missed it. The wall at Anka’s Place collapsed during the earthquake and it is a 100 yard long bare patch with just one type of purplish coral starting to grow. Quite amazing.

Medical issues
We unfortunately got to check out three of the four medical facilities on the island. The first trip to the clinic in French Harbor was due to an allergic reaction to a wasp sting on my wife’s lip. After a couple of hours her lip swelled to three times normal even after taking antihistamine pills. She was given an injection of antihistamines and corticosteroid. The swelling started to go down in a couple of hours and her lip was back to normal by the next day. Trip two to the same clinic was caused when I developed an ear infection (I wasn’t rinsing out my ears after diving – need to be sure to do that in the future).

My wife later developed a case of diarrhea which resulted in dehydration and fever. Several others on the boat got mild cases but hers was more severe and she was admitted to the Woods Medical Center in Coxen Hole where she received 6 bags of Ringer’s Lactate over the next 24 hours along with other meds. After reviewing the literature we think that the steroids (which affect the immune system) made a simple case if diarrhea into something more serious.

The last trip to a local clinic suggested by the manager of the resort was to treat nausea and cramping which followed the other intestinal problems. All in all we lost three days of diving. Carolyn’s pretty much recovered now so all is well. We’re not sure what specifically caused her problems but food poisoning and/or water borne parasites are high on my list. While the resort fills pitchers with bottled water we saw the maid wash out the pitcher with water from the tap!

The resort manager was very solicitous and had the chef prepare chicken soups for Carolyn to eat and he also drove us to the last doctor.

Thank you so much for all of the great details you have us about your recent trip. I have a trip planned for october to FI and I am looking forward to it but a little bit nervous at the same time! I truly hope I don't have to visit any clinics while I am there! Thanks again and hope all is well.

Thanks for the trip report. Are you generally prone to getting ear infections? Do you suggest there are parasites in the water around the island?

Thanks for the trip report. Are you generally prone to getting ear infections? Do you suggest there are parasites in the water around the island?

I wasn't suggesting that but there probably is some bacteria in most water. My problem was probably caused by a condition known as "swimmers ear".

See the following discussion from eMedHealth:
The skin lining the ear canal and outer ear serves as a barrier against infection from bacteria and fungi. The ear is protected against infection because the lining is slightly acidic.

Excessive moisture in the ear canal from showering or swimming alters the acidic environment of the ear canal, and allows for the invasion of bacteria or fungi.

Lets see,
There are well over 3000 varieties of parasites and well over 100 types of worms that can live in the human body, these can come from anywhere. There are for sure parasites in and around roaatan but there are likely many varieties in your own yard or at least in your home town. Just a few ways to become infected by a parasite include, insect bites. walking barefoot, eating raw or undercooked pork, beef or fish, eating contaminated raw fruits and vegetables, eating foods prepared by infected handlers, drinking contaminated water, contact with infected persons (including sexual contact, kissing, sharing drinks, shaking hands, or sharing toys), inhaling dust that contains parasitic eggs or cysts or even cleaning up after a pet.
I do not feel one can really become immune in the times I spend on the Island but while i am at my home on Roatan i do drink bottled water and use it for ice but I wash dishes in tap water, brush teeth, shower and all that good stuff and have not had problems in many years. Many people could be very accustomed to "safe" water from one area and then move to a different area where water is still tested and very safe but different and then have tummy troubles.

Thank you so much for all of the great details you have us about your recent trip. I have a trip planned for october to FI and I am looking forward to it but a little bit nervous at the same time! I truly hope I don't have to visit any clinics while I am there! Thanks again and hope all is well.

Use common sense with water, food, salads, ears and hopefully you will be fine. I have been visiting the Bay Islands over ten years, have owned my home on Roatan for about 6 years, I spend 3-4 months a year there and the only time i have visited any clinics were to help with donations, bring my watchmans 83 year old mother for a check up and one time bring a tourist who crashed on his scooter in front of me.

and one time bring a tourist who crashed on his scooter in front of me.

Scooters- the most dangerous thing about diving in Roatan

2 planes for island tours? Sounds like Bay Island Airlines was finally able to get customs to release their second plane. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Thanks for the report.

We are frequent guests at Fantasy Island...four trips in the past year. I think I'm qualified to tell you that you have nothing to be nervous about at FI in particular. You should, however, be aware that ANYWHERE on the island you will experience issues with the water. Most places provide filtered drinking water, but you still have to be careful about what you eat. I love salads, but when I'm on Roatan I stay away from them completely due to the fact that the ingredients are usually washed in plain water. The first time I missed a couple of dives due to stomach issues, I decided I'd be more careful about my dining selections in the future! I have never experienced an issue at FI from the drinking water, and I drink PLENTY of it. (Very particular about staying hydrated when diving:)

Fantasy Island Resort , Roatan Aug 1 – 15, 2009

This made for large crowds with many small children on the weekends. The beaches were much more crowded than usual and there were lines at meals along with kids running around everywhere.
The country of El Salvador has a week long statutory holiday in August. Roatan is a very popular destination for Salvadorians during August. Hotels usually put in specials to attract these tourists during the August holidays. The crowds may have just been a seasonal thing. Thanks for detailed report. It was very informative.

Back
Top Bottom