Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI kelpmermaid!
I'd appreciate you looking over those brochures and viewing that video on Bay Islands Beach Resort and giving me a report. They say ( whoever they are) gthat pictures don't lie, but they sure can be made to "enhance" the truth.
I'm looking forward to your "report.
~lildiver

Well, the video was not very informative. There was not narration, so it wasn't abundantly clear what we were seeing. A lot of it focused on non-diving activities, and there was only one room interior shot. There was more on the CD-ROM, though -- 3 different room types, and they did not look bad from what I could see. They appear to have 3 boats, none of them too large (good and bad aspects to that), Nitrox capability, and several parrots. According to the brochures, they do have A/C in the rooms. I will be interested to hear what you have to say about it when you get back.

kelpmermaid,
Thanks for your "report"....My dive trip to Roatan isn't scheduled until Dec. 1st. But I will let you know how it turns out when I get back.
~lildiver

I´ve been in Roatan last March.
I went with my diving group, we were 30 divers from Argentina. I was so curious about this (my first trip and first dive) I entered as many sites as I could to know the island, the inn we were to stay in and its facilities. Once there, I felt at home!
Have you seen your inn in a page?
We stayed at Lost Paradise Inn in West End (the best side of the island)

I took a sun protector combined with insect repellent and it proved to work! (Off and Cactus Juice, they are sold in the island too)

If you need more info just let me know.(food-water-etc)

Enjoy! Not only the reefs are a paradise, but also the island.

The best of luck!

Thanks Cecilia, for your information. I'm looking forward to my trip in Dec. to Roatan. I have found my resort's web page, but you know how advertising is. What was the viz like on your dives? And what was the water temp. And what about the drinking water on the island, is it safe or should I stick to bottled water? Thanks in advance for you answers.

~lildiver

Yes, I agree with you as regards advertising.
The viz was very very good, at least at the time we went there. Just be careful when wall diving, spaces are kind of small sometimes, we were told to try not to move a finger! As for weather temperature, just take something thick when going out to dinner or walking in the shore.
When diving I took a 5mm suit and it was ok, at least for me.
I was advised (once in the island) NOT to drink water, except bottled, we found a big one in our refri, courtesy of the inn, or you can buy it in a supermarket, this was just a precaution.
One more thing, there are many restaurants, but many of them are veeery small, that means you must wait almost an hour after someone takes you order, so be veery patient. (remember we were 30 people, we decided NOT to go together! :)

The island is a paradise, you´ll have fun!!!!!!!!

Ask as much as you want, it´s a pleasure to answer.
Ceci

Cecelia,
Since you said I could ask more questions....

What about the marine life? See any whale sharks, rays, large grouper? And what about the native people, are they friendly toward tourists? And please tell me the names of some of the dives you went to. Did you dive Spookey Channel?

Tell me more, please :)

~lildiver

Lildiver:
As regards marine life there is a wide variety. We didn´t see sharks, but were told they could be found a bit far from the island.
Some of my pals went "fishing" to see them but I don´t know if sharks new it and didn´t show or if the whole crew fell asleep on the boat! No fish for dinner…
We saw rays, moreys, lobsters, very big crabs, huge meros, groupers too, turtles, beautiful ones!, and the most amazing variety of fish, shapes and colours.
People in the island are very friendly, and tourists in general too, just walk along the main street in West End and you´ll see. On Fridays and Saturdays there are dancing parties, you´ll surely enjoy them.
The dives I did were: (and I quote from my log book):
(m. stands for meters)
Sea Quest 14 m depth, Light House Reef 19m, Flower´s Bay 23m, Octopus Acre 33m, Pablo´s Place 33m ( I loved it!) , Aguilas 33m (shipwreck), Blue Channels 14m, The Hole in the Wall 39.5m (don´t miss it), Half Moon Bay 22m (caves).

Would you like to see the underwater pictures? They are in a web page : just go to http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/uriburux
(I am the one in AB 0836 D16, now you can see me!)

Tell me what you think about the pic. they were taken by an experienced diver.I really loved them!

I am a teacher, I love to answer questions. :)
I can tell you a bit more about our free day, we hired a van and went to see the rest of the island. Just let me know.

Cecilia,
Those are some great pics! And now, if I ever run into you underwater, I'm sure to recognize ya hehe! Thanks for sharing your pics with me! And I'd love to know more about "topside" activities too. so please share any and all info you can.

~lildiver

So you enjoyed watching the pics! I am glad to hear that!

Well, what we did was to visit the Capital of the island called Coxen Hole, there is a gift shop, on a short street next to the supermarket, I suggest you visit it.

On Fridays many tourists come to the island, those huge boats full of people, and the port prepares gifts shops all around for them to buy, we arrived a bit late, but we could find very nice souvenirs.(I love shopping, does it show? Haha!)

We visited the Iguana Farm, hundreds of them coming to lunch, (at 1pm aproximately) . Went to see the "garífunas" a community of local people, they may dance and invite you to dance with them, there we saw those beautiful trees which grow in the salty water, saw French Harbour, visited Fantasy Island the resort, and Las Palmas, a very nice place.

In West End also, you have the Institute for Marine Sciences near Anthony´s Key Resort where you can swim with the dolphins, don´t miss this, I regret I didn´t do it! (and gift shop too!)

We saw dolphins swimming along our boat´s way, they are so beautiful! Once the excited divers (me included) were in the water, ready to swim with them… they went away!

You´ll have a unique experience Lildiver, I hope this has helped you to feel more comfortable, knowing what you are going to do and would be able to see.
Remember to take the two protectors, against sun and insects!

Have fun!

Cecilia

Back
Top Bottom