Roatan: Malaria? Viz in May/June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your opinion - it is truly much appreciated!! I had seen the CDC information and knew that malaria was certainly a possibility in the Bay Islands. In my reading, I had come across several sources saying that P. vivax was the prevalent form of malaria in that area, and once I heard from my physician (who regularly travels to inland Honduras, allegedly) that chloroquine is not preventative against infection with vivax, I opted not to bother with prophylaxis. Guess the best thing to do at this point is be vigilant about insect repellant...and reconsider prophylaxis if I should ever return to Central America. I have a friend who contracted P.falciparum during a trip to Africa, and it is not a pretty tale, to say the least...I don't want to deal with malaria in any form!

Again, thanks so much!

fotofrog:
Another preventative is a tonic water on island that I believe is called "quinac". This of course has Quienine <sp> (sorry to lazy to be correct). It's not exactly a prevetative but it can't hurt.

BTW, there IS an above average outbreak of malaria in the western half of the island (where you'll be).
As for vis.......don't worry, be hoppy! It'll be great at that time of year.

Just out of curiosity, what are the current incidence & prevalence statistics for malaria on Roatan in general & the western half in particular?

BTW, the amount of "quinine" contained in "Quinac" will prevent/treat nothing beyond one's thirst.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Just out of curiosity, what are the current incidence & prevalence statistics for malaria on Rotan in general & the western half in particular?

Doc, the statistic are only gleamed by me from 'word of mouth.....otherwise known as "the coconut telegraph". I live on the secluded east end of the island where outbreaks or for the most part...nominal. It appears the majority of outbreaks (from what we hear) is down island. This may be due to all the stagnent and polluted water in the higher populated areas. I have not heard what strains are active as yet...the information highway travels very slowly eastward. To get some sort of regulated statistics, one will need to go to the hospitals and clinics to make an attempt to surmise the situation. Record keeping is not a high priority on Roatan (or Honduras for that matter).
========================================

BTW, the amount of "quinine" contained in "Quinac" will prevent/treat nothing beyond one's thirst.

All I know about this, is that friends that have malaria claim to get some form of relief from drinking it. I honestly don't know if it is phyco symatic or if it really does help. And as I said previously, what can it hurt if someone thinks it COULD help. The mind is a powerful tool in the medical arena.
Sorry my post was so abrupt on the earlier post but it had been a looooong day yesterday and I just took a quick trip thru the scuba board and the malaria topic caught my attention, albeit for a quick responce. Sorry for being so vague on such an important matter.

fotofrog

Thanks for the prompt reply--I've got the picture now.

Heavens, I would be the last one to poo-poo the placebo effect. Just for the record, however, "Quinac" contains less than 20 milligrams of quinine per six fluid ounces. The recommended quinine dosage for treatment of malaria is two or three 200-350 milligram tablets three times a day.

If your acquaintances are doing the "Quinac" as a gin & tonic, that very well might make them feel better. If they're doing it straight, then we're talking placebo.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
If your acquaintances are doing the "Quinac" as a gin & tonic, that very well might make them feel better. If they're doing it straight, then we're talking placebo.
DocVikingo

Straight gin is NOT attributable to a placebo effect. :wink:

We went last May, and took the antimalarials. I forget whether it was something I read before we went or something I heard while we were there, but I recall hearing of a DM at AKR getting over Malaria just before we arrived, so I know it does occur in that area. As for whether Chloroquinone is effective, I can only state that my wife and I each took the meds, we were bitten by mosquitoes and noseeums, and neither of us got sick. Taking the meds never caused us any problems, so I don't see the downside to taking them.

As for the vis, it was fairly windy the whole time we were there, and vis was down slightly from what we had on a past trip, but it was still easily 60-80+ feet on most dives. For a complete rundown of the diving conditions and sites, look at the second part of the trip report I posted on another site.

Part 1 deals with topside stuff:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2027

Part 2 describes the dive op and dive sites:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2028

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

AggieDiver

I visit Roatan often and have many friends there. I always take the antimaleria medications by the CDC guidelines. I know of several people last trip in Feb. that had Maleria and it is very active this year. I would suggest you take the medicine and also bring the deet.

Suzanne

handel27:
Hi all,

New to the board but have already picked up a slew of good info. I wondering if anti-malarial meds are required for a MAy June trip. Anyone have a feeling about this?

ALSO: How's the Viz down there at the end of may/beginning of June? Someone tipped me to seasonal rpoblems. Anything i should worry about? (Obviously, we're planijng a trip in that time frame)

TIA

Nelson

We just got back from AKR last week. It was a great trip to a great resort. Take the malaria medicine, it doesn't have any side effects and while we were there there was someone in the clinic being treated for malaria, so it is there.

The viz was ok, mostly it was 50-70'. Water temp on everydive was 81 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom