Roatan newbie looking for help & info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solomon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am burned out and need to get away so booked a plane ticket today for a week on Roatan leaving next week. I have never been there and am on somewhat of a budget. Looking at West End and/or West Bay. Not interested in AI's as will be solo. I think I have the diving part sorted so looking for accomodations. Like I said, budget is a concern but I don't want to be in a room over a loud bar either. Is West Bay a good compromise or is it a bit of hassle to get from there to the bars/restaraunts in West End? Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Without reservation, I would recommend West End. Although West Bay is not geographically far from West End, if you want to go out at night for a little nightlife, all the fun bars are in West End and you will be gouged by the island taxi cartel at night going between West End and West Bay. West Bay strikes me as more of a destination for families and couples - so unless you want to hang with the families and couples, go to West End.

There is no shortage of cheap, convenient lodging options in West End which are far enough away from the nightlife to provide a quiet night of sleep.

Which dive op are you going with - often times, the dive op can recommend a place to stay within your budget.

Have fun...I'm going there in November and am counting the days.

Thanks for the info re: West Bay and West End. Looks like West End it will be. Looking at Coconut Tree Divers but nothing is set in stone.

then definitely shoot them an e-mail. They have accommodations through the dive shop in all price ranges and if they are full, they will most graciously give you some info on other places.

Another place you can check is www.bayislandsdiver.com. That site is a wealth of info regarding independent travel on Roatan - with a focus on West End.

Have fun!

you cant go wrong with coconut tree.

I especially recommend diving with them!!!!! Everyone there is super cool, they have a great dive boat, and the rooms are less than a stones throw from the dive shop.

Man, i honestly love that place!

Tell Monty christina says hi if you do dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom