Roatan or Cozumel .. which would YOU choose ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are trying to plan a trip for January 2005.
We loved Cozumel, but still want the adventure of trying something different.

Has anyone been to both places? Which would YOU choose? Anyone been to Roatan in Jan? I hear that's the end of the rainy season, & it could get quite miserable. I also don't feel up to coating myself in DEET to keep away the notorious sand fleas...

Thanks for any input!

Steph

Coz.

Joe

Hi Scuba sweetie.
I never been to roatan but I hear the diving is great. I am planning a trip there next year. We just got back from Cozumel, the diving was fantastic. We used Dive Paradise and they catered to us the entire time. The resort we stayed was the plaza las glorias and DO NOT recommend it. We had 8 rooms (16 divers) and 3 of the rooms had something stolen out of them. Besides the that resort, the Diving and trip was total success and underwater life alive with much to see. Hope this helps.

Yes I have. I guess my first response was a bit short, huh.
Coz is easy and a little cheaper to get to sometimes. I have been there several times. Never disappointed with the diving but the topside activities are getting old.
My Roatan experience was on the Aggressor. Only topsode activities were a dinner at the Yacht Club. The wind blew ( I am from the TX panhandle and wind isn't often an issue with me.) all week. It rained (unseasonably I was told) all week. The vis sucked for the tropics. But I had a great time.
I watched a couple of the resort boats drop divers off and pick them up. It was quite scarey. It must have been a new boat driver after listening to the rave reports the resort gets on this board. Several of the divers got on our boat because the couldn't get on the right one.
I was somewhat disappointed with the diving. Just kinda drab. It had to be the weather. We had spent the week before at LBR on Utila and it was almost perfect. I'd go back there in an instant.
Part of my reply was based on the assumption that you were a new diver by your number of posts. I have since read your profile and see otherwise.
Bottom line is either place should be great. Just my opinion.

Joe

Benvenuto a bordo from the middle of Mediterranean sea. :azvatar:

Sorry can't help. Have not being there yet!!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

I've done Roatan twice and Cozumel 3 times, and I'd say if you've only done one - you gotta' try the other. Yeah, you have to use Deet some and take other precautions; just part of the adventure...

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Thanks, guys.

Your suggestions help. I guess that once you have such an awsome experience somewhere, it's safer to try to 'duplicate' it, rather than venture back out into the unknown.

:)

Steph

I've been to Roatan twice, each time for one day only, on a cruise port stop, loved it. Been to Coz quite a few times, most of the trips were before I was a diver. But, I've dived in Cozumel too (actually on the same cruise, and we went to a resort there last month). The cruise departed Jan. 31 of last yr. The diving in both places was great, I really don't think you could go wrong either place. They have different topside atmospheres, Roatan is definately not as developed as Coz, has more of a rain-foresty feel to it, and more bohemian. I didn't go to the resorts, but they may be different from my impressions. I would like to go back to the West End again. Coz, I love for its friendliness and Mexican village/city atmosphere. I always feel like I'm going home when I get there. I think you would be happy with the diving on Roatan, it was different but awesome. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Foo

Coz is so much more civilized and the dive ops so much more professional. You can get eaten alive by the bugs in Roatan. It was impossible to lay on the beach without getting bitten up. Diving was certainly not as good as Coz but it was shallower for the most part if thats a concern. Roatan is developing a rep for poor boats and equipment and we certainly witnessed our share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom