Roatan Resort question, a PM from "rufous"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan, thanks for putting this up in the general forum. It has generated some valuable discussion. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks also to others who have replied. I suspect that we will probably do FIBR first and see how it goes. I say this only because we are generally on a pretty tight budget for our vacations and so far it seems that one can do FIBR for less cost than CCV. If I am wrong please steer me right. Thanks again, Brian.

cardzard:
There are 3 scheduled boat dives per day and 1 night dive per week. We logged 19 dives in 5 days. While I understand that there are those who love CCV. I can tell you I love Fantasy Island and would return in a heatbeat. Tv and A/C in your room is a must IMO because you cant dive 24/7. Also the best way to see both walls between CCV and Fantasy Island is to get the dive boat to take out extra tanks and ask the staff to drop you on the walls on the way in from the afternoon dives. This save you the swim out and give you more time to hunt critters. The dive staff and facillities are top notch. Thats my 2 cents.

I have never stayed at FIBR, just as you have never snoozed :nighty: at CCV. I have, however, done 6, maybe 8 boat trips with FIBR, and four or five shore entries from FIBR.

If, as you say, you can't dive 24/7 at FIBR, know that 24/7 diving is a factual advertising statement by CCV. The best way to see the walls (Newman and CoCoView Walls) from CCV is to be aboard the morning and/or afternoon dive boats. After a moored dive, on the way back, you can select to do a "drop-off" dive as the boat returns. You don't have to ask, it's just assumed. You make your return via the anchor chain through the coral heads, an aquarium that leads you right to your room.

If you elect to do a shore dive from CCV, the "swim out" is half the fun. From the moment your feet get wet from the sandy walkway into the ocean, 75 feet out to the "dive platform" in 4 feet of water, the aquarium begins. Many of our dives never go below 30 feet of depth. On our return, many folks "run out of water"... meaning that we slowly creep in along the sandy walkway until we are in 12" of water examining everything from Mantis Shrimp, Sailfin Blennies, Baby Cudas, Sharptail Eels and more. It's tough to stand up out of 12" of water in full SCUBA rig, at least at my age.

FIBR has about the only beach (other than Paya Bay which is way off the beaten path). It is a great place to catch some rays and the disco attracts good crowds. There is a nice flow of locals there to meet and many people find the interaction with the party crowd invigorating. :djbluey: It sporadicaly offers small sailboats and rentals of jet skis. Another highlight: Uncles who bring their Neices along on vacation sometimes encourage them to sunbathe topless. :wink:

Nudity at CCV is largely a one-day-a-year event sponsored by the "Bandana Divers" but... not all that many Neices are there :06: (more of the Aunts!)

Each resort has its fans, but until you have savored both... and remember: "cost" should take into account value, as well! For the needs as described, there are a lot more non-dive diversions (such as they are) at FIBR than CCV. FIBR is decidedly more kiddie friendly. At CoCoView, one of their t-shirts proclaims, "Shut up and dive! "

Back
Top Bottom