Roatan...Was I expecting too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't let my screen name fool you, I like a lot of other dive locations as well.

Roatan is not a place you go to see Pufferfish and Baracuda. It is a place to find miriad of little critters. It is for divers with perfect buoyancy, infinite patience, excellent observational skills. The real fans of Roatan carry a magnifying glass.

Here's a comment from someone who was there at the same time as you.

"Just for the record, here's a list of the fish and creatures we identified during our two week stay. We used Paul Humann's guides to identify what we saw. All of these were seen in the "front yard" and immediately to the east and west of the CoCoView entrance along the wall inwards towards shore:

Spaghetti Shrimp, Common Octopus (at night), Reef Squid, Batwing Coral Crab, Hermit Crab, Caribbean Spiny Lobster, Banded Butterfly, Four Eyed Butterfly, Spotfin Butterfly, Queen Angelfish, French Angelfish, Grey Angelfish, French Angelfish juvenile, Bar jack, African Pompano, Ballyhoo, Great Barracuda, Chub, French Grunt, Blue Stripe Grunt, Porkfish, Mahogany Snapper, School Master, Yellowfin Snapper, Threespot Damselfish (adult and juvenile), Cocoa Damselfish, Yellowtail Damselfish, Sergeant Major (adult and guarding eggs), Blue Chromis, Barred Hamlet, Indigo Hamlet, Nassau Grouper, Grayby, Fairy Basslet, Blue Parrotfish, Spotlight Parrotfish (adult, juvenile), Greenblotch Parrotfish, Spanish Hogfish, Puddingwife (juvenile), Yellowhead Wrasse, Bluehead, Squirrelfish (all kinds), Redlip Blenny (many others), Peacock Flounder, Bandtail Sea Robin, Flying Gurnard, Trumpetfish (many colors), Porcupine Fish, Smooth Trunkfish, Ocean Triggerfish, Black Durgeon, Scrawled Filefish (many colors), Orangespotted Filefish, Spotted Goatfish, Yellow Goatfish, Spotted Drum (juvenile), Green Moray, Nurse Shark (lying under a ledge), Spotted Eagle Ray (tail intact), Rock Beauty.

The coral was too varied and numerous to list and I'm positive we missed naming many other varieties of fish and creatures. Missing from the list is a Seahorse. They are typically deeper than we can see but we see about everything else.

"

... and this guy is a snorkeler.

Here are some photos...http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html be sure to click on "see previous week" when you're done ogling these!

There is a wonderment of critters in the "Front Yard" as we call it. The night dives, sometimes 2x a night- never missed. If you want to see crabs and lobsters, larger fish... well- there are better places. I've seen my fill of the obvious, I've seen most of the micro... now I'm on to observable behaviors of the micro. Boy- I woulda' sold my soul for a micro camera... during about 1% of my bottom time!

However, diving on the South side (not East) with FIBR is rewarding only for the pokey-slow hunters. Look around these resorts (especially at CCV) and see the exotic macro set-ups that it attracts. Stan Waterman "lived" there.

Patience offers it's rewards.

I must agree with the Doc. Although I didn't carry a magnifying glass, I did shoot a lot of macro. I believe that I saw about 75% of the fish in my fish ID book there in a week, and small critters that I had never seen before.

I will agree that if you're looking for LARGE fish, this is not the place to go. But for fish smaller than 12" - Roatan is GREAT! I would certainly go back. We stayed at CCV, and not FIBR.

If Roatan wasn't really as great as other people say, then why would CCV have a HUGE LIST of people whom have stayed there more than 5 times, with some as many as 30-40 trips to CCV (right DOC?)

As with any dive trip... don't set your expectations too high for ANYPLACE. I have read reports from people who are blaming the resort for bad weather or other out of their control conditions. If you keep an open mind to what you'll be seeing... you'll be happier with the outcome.

I am always amazed how much one place can vary even just due to conditions, timing, etc.

The walls and gorgonian were spectacular. I saw seahorses for the first time. I loved Roatan and would go back again (but first I have to get to a lot of other places I haven't been to yet.)

daniel f aleman:
Should have dived the west side of Roatan... really.
Shhhhhhhh... Roatan and Bonaire are disappointing, see... not worth all those folks goin' there, see... drivin' up prices and crowding the boring reef and all...
See you down there :)
Rick

Al Mialkovsky:

and Captain Rick hailed with
Shhhhhhhh... Roatan and Bonaire are disappointing, see... not worth all those folks goin' there, see... drivin' up prices and crowding the boring reef and all...
See you down there

Yeah, that's it.

Here, this is my new favorite place to dive: http://www.sthelena.se/tristan/tristan.htm

Yeah, that's the ticket. Nice place. Lot's of critters.:wink:

....and great direct flights!

So far the keys has the most fish life compared to alot of the carib sites i dove actually it was even close, one dive on molasses i saw so many eagle rays i stopped counting but the coral and color hands down the carib wins

Hooked-Again:
We are going to Roatan the first week of May. Would you mind telling me who you dove with so I don't make the same mistake? Sure wish this thread had been posted before we booked our trip......We may have decided on a different local. Well we will make the best of it anyway, I am sure there will be somthing that interests us. Just getting wet after a long snowy winter will be reward enough. Sorry you were disappointed.

Happy Diving!!!!!!
Don't let this thread get you down, I'm positive you're going to have a great time. The diving is good it's just not what I thought it was going to be that's all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom