Roatan, what not to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply Doc,

I understand the "go slow" concept, but was more interested in using it to get further out of the immediate vicinity of CCV for a change of scenery instead of doing two or three dives a day over the same area (ie. within kicking distance of the beach entry point) for a week.

My scooter has a 4-6 mile range (really!) but that would be less towing myself and my wife together. Once out there I can turn the speed down to a crawl.

Would that be worth while?

Mmm... 84 deg water + 5mm wetsuit + scooter = 2 hour dives (bring a snorkel for the ride home)

Would that be worth while?

It would probably be better to use that luggage capacity and bring down paper, Crayolas and supplies for the school kids. See the lists needed at Packing for your trip - CoCo Chat

CoCoView is the kind of place where you'll see returning guests who become very minimalist.

You really don't need much there other than a small flashlight (even for day dives) and a cheap 10x glass lensed magnifier.

Returning guests understand that "instead of doing two or three dives a day over the same area (ie. within kicking distance of the beach entry point) for a week. " done twice a day... that simply is not the case.

Each day, you may do two drop-off dives, each are done from an entirely different wall. Newman's Wall in the morning, CCV Wall in the afternoon. They are selected because of the timing when the Sunlight hits them.

Both Drop-off dives do culminate in the Prince Albert Wreck before your 200' trip in to the resort through the reef.

IMG_4482.jpg

Many divers simply elect to be dropped over the wreck twice daily, spending 1.5 hrs poking around this one single dive site.

If you are a quiet diver and observant, you may likely see some interesting critters seen just last week on a CoCoView Drop Off Dive:

- Hammerhead Shark
- Atlantic Manta Ray
- Turtles
- Spotted Eagles
- Sting Ray
- Squidlets
- Box Crab
- Jaw Fish
- Garden Eels
- Orange Ball Corellamorphs
- Yellow Cup Corals
- Basket Stars
- Arrow Blennies
- Shrimp (10+ varieties)
- Swordfish Blennies
- Three Fin Blennies

...and I forget what else.

The "same dive" changes by the minute.

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably end up bringing it anyway regardless of the baggage charges as the resort is full the week we're going and we like to get away from the masses or at least have the option.

Plus it's a blast on night dives with the 20 watt headlight. Woot!

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably end up bringing it anyway regardless of the baggage charges as the resort is full the week we're going and we like to get away from the masses or at least have the option.

Let us know how the reality of CCV diving dovetails in with your pre-trip visualizations.

On April 4th we scammed a First Class upgrade from Chicago for $35, allowing us 3 checked 75lb. bags. Unfortunately, with a one day notice, it made it hard to pack the twin 120 steel tanks. :eyebrow:

If you are traveling in Monkey Class (aka: Steerage), you are allowed 2 bags of 50# and there is a charge ($25?) for bothering them with any such 2nd bag in the first place. Any bag 50>70 lbs will require the left arm of your first born son.

Continental First Class.... amenities (yet another word that doesn't pass ScubaBoard spell check) included a movie, the Day the Earth Stood Still, that I (thankfully) couldn't recall moments after seeing it (Klaatu barada nikto = bad remake) and a Cheeseburger (suggestively meaty with surprising cooked mammal flesh overtones that lingered like a windshield bug, an excellent choice with the red cabernet) and presented with what appeared to be two salads, the smaller of which was apparently for sandwich garnish. Also a bowl of very hot Corn/Tortilla Soup that was good and surprisingly peppery. I traded my wife for her soup giving up the about-to-explode package of Pepperidge Farm Milanos. Good deal for me- and she was quite amused by the pillow-like appearance of the package caused by the high altitude.

The Flight Attendants were cheerful and accommodating, but couldn't pronounce "Roatan" in any form that I had previously heard attempted (Not even the Texas "Roy-ahh-tan" version). As usual, none of them had ever gotten off the plane here. (You could also easily tell this because they had no sand fly bites)

In other First Cabin news from Honduras....

Flight attendant blocks man from using bathroom - has him arrested

by Scott Carmichael on Apr 8th 2009 at 1:30PM

We've probably all heard the stern warning at the start of our flight telling us to use the bathroom in our own cabin.

The separation of the classes means only business class passengers are allowed to use the business class bathroom, and coach passengers need to use the smelly porta-potty in the rear of the plane.

But what do you do when you really have to go? Like after a meal you had in Honduras that isn't sitting too well with you?

This is the dilemma faced by Joao Correa on his Delta Airlines flight back home last week.

The coach bathroom was blocked by a drinks cart, and when he politely asked a flight attendant if he could use the front bathroom, he was told "no".

He tried to hold "it" in, but when things got too much, he sprinted up front and attempted to enter the bathroom. It was at this point when the flight attendant/bathroom cop stuck her arm in front of him and blocked the door.

The rest of the story has become part of a federal investigation, Mr Correa claims the flight attendant put her hand on his shoulder, and that he grabbed her arm to keep his balance, her side of the story claims he pushed her arm down and twisted it.

The flight attendant then called the pilot, who probably rolled his eyes and told her to let Mr. Correo just use the bathroom. He then returned to his seat and was quiet for the rest of the flight.

Upon landing at Atlanta airport, he was arrested and locked up for 2 nights before appearing before a judge.

Mr. Correa says he is "devastated' by the whole incident.

Last edited:

Plus it's a blast on night dives with the 20 watt headlight. Woot!

Dude, I hope you don't intend to take that thing on the boat dives. I would be very P'ed off if you kept zipping by me, scaring off the fish, while I am trying to shoot video! :no:

I have no clue why you would want to take that thing. I understand why they are cool in Calif, zipping around in the kelp forest, but I don't think they will be worthwhile in Roatan.

And you said "getting away from the masses.." at CCV? Are you serious? What masses? The resort only has 26 rooms and most of the time feels even smaller than that. Dinner time is the only time you see everyone and that is only for 30 minutes or so before people head out for night dives or off elsewhere. The resort has such a quiet, remote feeling about it. :D

As far as the boat dives go, each boat doesn't drop people off at the same time, so you don't see that many people. Plus some people don't stop, they swim directly back to the resort for some stupid reason. Me and hubby stopped along the way looking for critters and usually made close to an hour dive, still arriving back on shore before mealtime. :) Those drop-off dives were awesome and we found all types of little critters including 2 different seahorses (one adult and one tiny baby). Never would see those things if you aren't going slow!

baby seahorse, maybe 2" long
found on the dropoff dive at CCV wall
19Nov08_Seahorse117.jpg

adult seahorse, maybe 5" long
found on dropoff dive at Newman's wall
20Nov08_Seahorse084.jpg

robin:D

Dude, I hope you don't intend to take that thing on the boat dives. I would be very P'ed off if you kept zipping by me, scaring off the fish, while I am trying to shoot video! :no:

Dudette, judging by your comments, I'm guessing you have no scooter time under you belt. Scooters are used primarily for transportation to and from dive sites and exploring out of the way areas and (as long as the subject has turned to proper group diving etiquette) they also do a nice job of getting me away from the inconsiderate still/video camera toting divers who sit on the (Octopus, seahorse, frogfish, mandarin goby... fill in the blank) until it is traumatized and blinded by the strobe/video lights and then goes and hides so no one else on the boat gets a chance to see it. (How rude! that's a good way to P'off the whole boat)

Now which carelessly tossed out stereotype do you think is more accurate?

Have you ever seen someone on a scooter blasting across a reef, using the other divers for slalom gates? I thought not. As for the videographer/photographer bogarting the cool stuff, well who hasn't seen that?

I guess I should ask if there is anyone who has used a scooter in Roatan and if so, was worth the trouble? ...but that would be a new post.

I guess I should ask if there is anyone who has used a scooter in Roatan and if so, was worth the trouble?

Yes.

No.

We had them available for our use as guests at CoCoView for a while in 1985.

Plus some people don't stop, they swim directly back to the resort for some stupid reason.
Not only that, I actually saw one small group kneeling for three minutes in the sand at the buoy that marks the 15' safety stop! When there are coral heads not 10' away, teaming with life! :rofl3:

Dudette, judging by your comments, I'm guessing you have no scooter time under you belt. Scooters are used primarily for transportation to and from dive sites and exploring out of the way areas and (as long as the subject has turned to proper group diving etiquette) they also do a nice job of getting me away from the inconsiderate still/video camera toting divers who sit on the (Octopus, seahorse, frogfish, mandarin goby... fill in the blank) until it is traumatized and blinded by the strobe/video lights and then goes and hides so no one else on the boat gets a chance to see it. (How rude! that's a good way to P'off the whole boat)

Now which carelessly tossed out stereotype do you think is more accurate?

Have you ever seen someone on a scooter blasting across a reef, using the other divers for slalom gates? I thought not. As for the videographer/photographer bogarting the cool stuff, well who hasn't seen that?

I guess I should ask if there is anyone who has used a scooter in Roatan and if so, was worth the trouble? ...but that would be a new post.

I was just trying to explain to you why I didn't think you should take the scooter. I have been to Roatan, and California, and love diving them both. Just thought you could use some advice from someone who has done both. I guess not.

Back on the topic of what to bring... Would a scooter/DPV be a nice thing to have diving at CCV?

Also, what is the expected water temp the end of May?

Thanks,
Jon
IMHO I could not be bothered with bringing a scooter to Roatan or most any other open water vacation. Along with the shipping costs and all that goes with it , what if its misplaced or damaged?, the fact is that there is pretty much enough room at any dive to simply swim away from the crowd.
Sure, we all have fancy gadgets and I am sure my zepp would get all kinds of oohs and aahs from the newbies but for this type of diving I prefer minimalistic.
As far as scooting around with the light on at night? I use mostly the modeling light on my strobe and carry a small AA LED if I need a hair more light. Sure I could bring my dive rite cave lights and wow the newbies but why? Its a night dive, keeping slow quiet and relatively dark has just seemed to me the best way to get up close and personal with the night critters.

Back
Top Bottom