Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbinterim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of making a trip to Roatan in Feb of 10. Could use any and all opinions on diving and places to stay.
Thanks,
Ron

If you're not sponsoring a group trip, then you'll get better answers in the Bay Islands forum: Bay Islands - ScubaBoard For best results, :search: and read there, then ask more specific questions. I'm going Feb 20, returning to the same resort, but I don't know your preferences.

The diving is gorgeous and we quite enjoyed Fantasy Island - tremendeous value for the money. Basic accomodations, decent food, cold beer and great people, all for a decent price.

PM me if you need more......

Cheers,

Michael

Torn between diving Belize or Honduras. I'm a big fan of the live-aboard but can't make any because I can't get there until a Monday (The apparently only depart on Saturdays). Are either/both worth diving from a Hotel or should I wait till I can book a live aboard and dive somewhere else?

I should admit I prefer a bit more luxury when I get out of the water. Quiet, private, yes... but I enjoy the luxury of a 5 star hotel when possible. Any suggestions for either location?

Last edited:
After a lot of research here, I decided to stay at Coco View and I was very happy.

At CCV it is ALL ABOUT THE DIVING. I never left the resort unless I was getting on one of their boats. That may not be what everyone wants.

+1 for Coco View... I had a blast and would do it again...

Thanks! Is there anything else to see in the islands above water? I know in Belize everyone says not to miss the temples, cave tubing, etc. All of my research was for Belize and this trip is super last minute!

Glad you're getting good replies in this sub-forum anyway. Sometimes they're overlooked; sometimes not. I don't know of any 5 star resorts on Roatan. Coming from Hawaii, you'll be roughing it a bit I think - which doesn't bother me, but while I like 5 stars, not while diving.

I can't get info on land tours. They have some that sound interesting but I go for the diving, and I don't have any locally like you do. I bet others will post on that tho...

I think that on Roatan you can do some jungle tours, but there's no ancient architecture or giant zoological parks as you might see in the Yucatan. The west end's shopping/night life is also pretty modest. It is NOTHING like you may have seen in Coz or PDC.

Wrongcrowd Gallery :: Coco View May 2009 :: cocoview_may2009_westend_shore2

I only went to the West End because we had a dive trip out there, with a stop at the beach for the surface interval.

From my limited experience, Roatan is fantastic for diving, or relaxing on the beach between dives. Or, if you are the kind of traveler that likes to find a local watering hole and talk to the locals, you can probably find things to do too... But go for the diving.

My $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom