Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLoCLevel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone, We'll be on a late December cruise and looking for the best dive excursions. One of our destinations is Roatan and our cruise offers a shark feeding dive at 50 fsw. Not really what we'd like to do at a premier location. Please submit your recommendations for a dive operator and "must dive" location(s) in Roatan.

BLoCLevel:
Hey Everyone, We'll be on a late December cruise and looking for the best dive excursions. One of our destinations is Roatan and our cruise offers a shark feeding dive at 50 fsw. Not really what we'd like to do at a premier location. Please submit your recommendations for a dive operator and "must dive" location(s) in Roatan.

Which cruise line are you going on? I'm with NCL and we usee Anthony's Key Resort. Those guys are excellent. Let me know if you're coming on the Dream and we'll hook up. :)

BLoCLevel:

There is no easy way to do "must dives" from a cruise ship on Roatan.

If you are hondo get-go kinda cruise ship diver, arrange a trip with "SubWay" watersports that pulls out of the French Harbour Yacht Club. http://www.roatanyachtclub.com/dive_shop.html

Well said that you don't want to f@rt around on a shark dive whilst at Roatan. If you can get SubWay to do it, I would suggest a run to Calvin's Crack... they have fast day boats and could do it if the conditions were right.

I would opt second for one of the walls that are close to CoCoView and Fantasy, maybe Managheri or Doc's Dive. My personal favorite is the Wreck of the Prince Albert, but due to the FIBR siltation it is truly primo only at high tide.

Many hundreds of cruise ship divers wind up daily at AKR and get enjoyment from the Flipper act. I enjoy seeing them in the wild off of the Southern shore that you will be traversing on the way to Calvin's Crack. Sometimes they hang around if you slip gently into the water with your snorkel.

If you truly want to see a place that could lure a real diver off of any cruise ship, go the extra and dive with CoCoView. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/ They will arrange for cruise ship day divers. It may change your vacation habits entirely!

We joined about 8 other divers from our ship and did dives on our own, not booked through the ship. We used Coconut Tree Divers (emailed them in advance to schedule arrangements), just ask a taxi to take you to the West End. One thing about the taxis in Roatan is that you don't pay them when you arrive at your dive shop. They will be back to pick you up at an appointed time, and will expect to be paid only when your round trip is finished.

Foo

BLoCLevel:
We just got back from a cruise on the Norwegian Sun. We had a fairly large group of divers with us. My wife and I did not do the shark dive, and had a great time, but many members of our group went on the shark dive and came back RAVING about it. Some said it was the most fun dive they had ever done. And the video that they bought showing the dive was awsome. My wife and I decided that if we ever get back then we are doing the shark dive.

my wife and I just got back from the norwegian sun and we did the shark dive in Roatan. We were a little skeptical about how good it would be since we thought we would be going to a giant patch of sand, with no reef in site. I know some people don't agree with them being fed and I'm kind of on the fence as to how I feel about it. I have to say that my wife and I loved the dive though and it is amazing to see them swimming around and coming that close to you. The area where the dive is done is nice also. There is a mooring line tied to a large coral head and there is a small patch of sand in front of it where you stand. There is coral all around. The depth is about 70 feet and the dive time is 30-40 minutes. They told us during the briefing that we would first go down and stand in the sandy area and if the sharks did not seem too agressive they would telll us that we could swim around with them. We did get to do this for 5-10 minutes which was nice. They only feed them at the end and they only had one 5 gallon bucket with fish to feed them. I believe they said there was about 10 lbs of fish in it. They just open the bucket and toss it and it doesn't take long at all for the food to be gone, then it is over. I'm not sure if we were just lucky, but while we were standing in front of the coral head the guide told us to turn around and there was large moray eel right behind us coming out of the coral head. Here are some pics we took. There not the greatest, but you can see what it's like.

I'll second anyone on Subway Watersports. they met us at dock. Piled into the pickup and went to shop. Dove Pats Place and Valley of Kings. vis was so-so but thats not their fault. Got back to dock with plenty of extra time to shop.

I will third Subway. Great group, fun dives, and very personable. BTW, I asked for a larger tank and they brought out a AL100 for me. Plus, the dives close in are great as RoatanMan noted. My favorite was Fish Soup; truely amazing the day we were there. Can't wait until March to return :)

jwh

lostboy:
I will third Subway. Great group, fun dives, and very personable. BTW, I asked for a larger tank and they brought out a AL100 for me. Plus, the dives close in are great as RoatanMan noted. My favorite was Fish Soup; truely amazing the day we were there. Can't wait until March to return :)

jwh

I am diving with Subway Watersports in 3 weeks! Can't wait. I am glad that you all are saying good things. I had trouble deciding who to use in Roatan.
Can any of you recommend dive sites. I really want to dive Mary's Place, but I realize, it might not be possible. I have only been diving for a year and a half, so I not an advanced diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom