RockDivers Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It's been nearly a week since my first outting as an Assistant Instructor and my first trip out to RockDivers this year. My boss and I had 3 out of our 5 students out for their open water dives. First off let me thank the good folks at Dive Sports in Decatur for once again sinking the west training platform 44' to the bottom. What was at 18' now rests peacefully on the bottom, making it absolutely useless for new OW students. So, being the resourseful woman she is, the boss decided to have the students do a tow over to the training platform on the SW corner of the quarry. Since we had a odd man out, one of the students had to tow my 240# frame. I do so love hearing people complain about towing me that I could easily curl in the gym. :wink:

At the platform we descended and did skills, but one of the students was not weighted properly, so I employed the RBS, or "Rock Ballast System." This, sadly, did not work because the student in question not only had all his weight in one pocket (in a non-weight integrated BC no less), but he also didn't have a weight belt at all. I gave him two of the spare weights I had in my pocket, and the DM that will be in the ITC with me went back to the dock for even more weight. FUBAR fixed we proceeded with the dives.

I still do not see how people do not grasp the idea of the flutter kick, especially someone that has ran track his entire life. This "kid" bicycle kicked the entire 3 dives. ARGH!!!!

Overall conditions weren't that bad for RockDivers. 62 on top, 53 at depth, 20' vis max, 15' average (everyone still looks at me likes I'm nuts for wearing a 6.5mm chicken suit). Zebra mussels (at least that's what I think they are) are getting bad, they're all over the place. The only other complaint is that it seems things have moved and lines are missing. Not a real problem really, but it's annoying. The east dock has no ramp, so it's unusable.

Will be headed back out there in a week or two with the rest of the students and a few from our upcoming advanced class, will report again then.

"And that's all I have to say about that..."

Went back out to RD yesterday and am going back out again today. This'll be the last chance for me to get wet before taking off to the panhandle in two weeks. Conditions out at RD haven't improved much. Vis is about the same and the temp on top by my guage was 72 with 58 below the thermocline at 20ish feet. On a side note, all the little fish seem to thing the hair on my legs tastes good, because I got nipped 6 times yesterday.

Will post my final thoughts tomorrow.

So, yesterday was, well, yesterday. Before I get going, let me et something off of my chest. RockDivers is really beginning to tick a lot of people off. Specifically what's got everyone so up in arms is hours. Clearly on the RockDivers website it states that May-September are considered "Summer Hours" and as such, the quarry does not close until 6pm. Or so one would think. Apparently "May" means after the last day of May (ie- June 1) and that's when summer hours start. Makes me scratch my head in disbelief.

Anywho, it was a madhouse both Saturday and Sunday. Our group didn't arrive until 12:30pm on Sunday, and by the time we got there, the east end of the quarry was packed, so off the the west end we went. I hate the west end. Nothing much to see, especially if you are limiting where you go thanks to noobs who suck like Hoovers.

Vis sucked as always, 15 feet above the thermocline, about 10 below. Temp on top was 70, below the thermocline was about 60 or so. Vis on the east end on Sunday was better than what it was on the west end Saturday though.

And finally another plea. If you are going to set up your "hey look at all the fancy crap we can drag out to the quarry and dive with" scuba assault trailers and set up your recreation of the infield at Talladega, DO IT AWAY FROM THE DOCK!!!! Stop making me and every other person walk through your little camp! Set up to the side of the dock for crying out loud, don't block it.

But, the summer months are on us and the craziness is on. It'll be pretty well packed from here on out. Arrive early, leave late, bring the sunblock, and remember... the brim are not pirahna!

Dang, you're making the drive to Martha's, ABWA, or Diveland look better and better!!

Cheers,
BD

I had planned to run down to RockDiver's in the next couple of days, but I think now I'll just skip the long drive and got to Martha's Quarry. Appreciate the heads-up on current conditions.

------------------------------------------------------------
-- First off let me thank the good folks at Dive Sports in
-- Decatur for once again sinking the west training platform
-- 44' to the bottom. What was at 18' now rests peacefully
-- on the -- bottom, making it absolutely useless for new
-- OW students.
------------------------------------------------------------

It is a small world. I was looking for the Rock Divers web site and found this review...

Don't blame Dive Sports for the condition of the platform. It turns out I was in the open water class that was being taught when it sunk. I had barely even gotten to the platform when it went and some of the students never made it there before it sunk. Why did it sink? I don't know but it wasn't anyone in our group doing anything. That isn't speculation - it is fact. I was there. As student checking out at Rock Divers it didn't leave a good first impression. I don't know what was paid for my use of the quarry (It was included in the class price) but if I had directly paid Rock Divers we would be talking refund. Once again I saw all of it and other than kneeling on the platform no one did anything to it.

Rock divers DID NOT impress me.

If there were anywhere else to dive in the area I would. As it is I may start making the trip to Bham.

Lets be honest, I have checked out all the local dive shops (except for the little one over by Research PK Blvd that everyone seems to hate) and NO ONE can touch Dive Sports on prices or service. Why else do people drive 60 & 100 miles to go there?

Everyone should check out www.divesports.com. Dive Sports prices are killer, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Unlike SDI where they believe it is a privilege for you to give them money and Rock Divers where they are simply rude.

(If you call profanity only rude.)

Local service with prices as cheap as the internet.

You can't beat them.

Good Diving.
JK

NthCognito:
If there were anywhere else to dive in the area I would. As it is I may start making the trip to Bham.

Everyone should check out www.divesports.com. Dive Sports prices are killer, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. JK
Phil is a good guy.

You should also consider diving at Diveland in Gadsden. Not much fun going through Gadsden to get there, but you can take I-759 as a bypass.

web site.

Cheers,
BD

Back
Top Bottom