Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
Well, weight has nothing to do with it. As you may have heard, Galileo ( did I spell that right?) , and later a hammer and a falcon feather on the moon showed that all objects fall at the same speed. The time needed to get a certain distance UP is the same time needed to FALL that same distance down.

I guess you didn't detect the satirical sarcasm in my post....however, if we're actually trying to attempt to be analytical here....weight certainly does come into play as soon as the diver breaches the surface and gravity begins to counteract bouyancy
.....unless the earth's rotation happens to have you at the bottom of the planet at that moment, allowing you to "fall up"

Aquanaut4ata:
I guess you didn't detect the satirical sarcasm in my post....however, if we're actuall trying to attempt to be analytical here....weight certainly does come into play as soon as the diver breaches the surface and gravity begins to counteract bouyancy.
So, you're saying that heavier objects fall faster? :wink:

Aquanaut4ata:
they do slow down faster when travelling up.....
You sure?

Saipanman:
I'm not a scientist, but I was an undergrad for 7.5 years, thereby making me smarter than most of you, so here's my guess:

Either the breaching diver was using a flux capacitor or the guy who allegedly saw the diver breach was using a bit of THC.

Just my educated guess.........

Anyone want to take odds? I would put the THC theory at a heavy favorite. :D

Uncle Pug:
I think the Myth Busters prefer to tackle myths that have at least a remote possibility of being true. The idea that a diver could ascend fast enough to get even a substantial portion of his/her anatomy out of the water is a non-starter. It isn't even a myth. It is literary hyperbole.

If the Myth Busters used a test dummy it would be a very boring experiment. If, on the other hand they could get someone who believes this is possible to try a super-expedited ascent from say, 130', then the show might not only be interesting but it could segue into an episode of Emergency 911. :D
They also dispell commonly held belief (urban legend). I think only one person actually believes this to be possible

gangrel441:
Anyone want to take odds? I would put the THC theory at a heavy favorite. :D

Well maybe if a diver has a 50 lb BC or Wing under his fins pushing up that might account for the breaching everyone's been debating.

Course, what the BC/Wing is doing under his fins would be another issue .... :wink:

I think the THC theory is best ... Occam's Law and all.

Saipanman:
Either the breaching diver was using a flux capacitor or the guy who allegedly saw the diver breach was using a bit of THC.
I vote for the THC. Specifically Delta-9 THC.

Roak

DiveGolfSki:
NOT Enough! Any true single malt drinker would opt for Midleton Irish whisky (the Irish invented it). Ahhh.... Oban's okay .... better than those Islay ... all that peat ... you'll never achieve terminal velocity. :D

aha, that explains why i'm not a Lagavulin drinker... peat slows you down...

pants!:
You sure?

No, but try this: propel a 180 # object and a 2 # object straight up,at the same speed and see which one stops traveling up first. Just a guess, but I think that the heavier object would cease to travel upward sooner...........I can't believe I got sucked into this thread!!!!!!!! :banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom