Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the spirit of other maneuvers (to remain unnamed in this thread) which have been coined on SB i float the idea we name this maneuver the "Ralph Kramden" maneuver. The necessary force required to generate diver departure from the surly bonds of water, only to be generated by a swift POW .... ZOOM .... to the moon Alice.
:biggrin:

TCDiver1:
In the spirit of other maneuvers (to remain unnamed in this thread) which have been coined on SB i float the idea we name this maneuver the "Ralph Kramden" maneuver. The necessary force required to generate diver departure from the surly bonds of water, only to be generated by a swift POW .... ZOOM .... to the moon Alice.
:biggrin:

That's Hilarious!

I'm gonna pull a "Ralph Kramden" the very next chance I get!

Hmm...do I have to use matches? ...always was afraid of that trick in college.

A diver can easily clear the water if they so desire. Let me show you how-

You will need:

Your regular dive gear and a full tank of air
A buddy
A sledge hammer.

Proceed to 5-10 meters depth. Place yourself in a vertical inverted position (ie head down and feet facing the surface). Then signal for your buddy to knock the top off the tank valve with the hammer. It may take several attempts. For safety’s sake I would recommend wearing a helmet to protect your head from the odd wayward blow. With the valve gone the ascendee will rapidly discover a degree of acceleration previously not enjoyed by divers under water, although the ability to steer may be affected. There should be no problem breaching the surface.

Disclaimer: inverted tank-assisted emergency ascents are considered an advanced skill.

Tassie_Rohan:
A diver can easily clear the water if they so desire. Let me show you how-

You will need:

Your regular dive gear and a full tank of air
A buddy
A sledge hammer.

Proceed to 5-10 meters depth. Place yourself in a vertical inverted position (ie head down and feet facing the surface). Then signal for your buddy to knock the top off the tank valve with the hammer. It may take several attempts. For safety’s sake I would recommend wearing a helmet to protect your head from the odd wayward blow. With the valve gone the ascendee will rapidly discover a degree of acceleration previously not enjoyed by divers under water, although the ability to steer may be affected. There should be no problem breaching the surface.

Disclaimer: inverted tank-assisted emergency ascents are considered an advanced skill.

I had read they were thinking about adding this as a dive specialty course, but completely forgot about it. That might be the solution to our riddle. :D

pilot fish:
Yup, my thoughts exactly. 500 to 1000 dives where? in Denial :blink: ?
Mebbe he's from Egypt ... :07:

... Bob (Grateful :D Diver)

I've been following this thread with interest and several laughs.
Since I'm the last one to attempt the 'Ralph Kramden' manuver, I can positively state that neither of us left the water. I'm pretty sure I didn't even get my waist out of the water. This ascent included both of us in dry suits (additional expanding air) in addition to her BC and my wing.

Just my .02

Bob

Well, after reading through this whole damn thing, I have a couple comments, and I've been out of college so many years that none of them involve calculus. Regarding the post where a 180# object will slow down faster (if thrown up) than a 2# object...if they are equally dense, they will slow down at the same rate. The reason this is an easy mistake to make is that a person can THROW a 2# object pretty fast...so, of course, it will go higher than a 180# object, which can't be thrown very fast at all. IF you could throw them at the same initial speed, they would go the same distance up (again, if their density & aerodymics are similar.) Like the example about the falling feather & a falling lead weight...in a vacuum, they fall at the same speed. In air (or water) their different densities....not weight!....cause them to fall/descend at different speeds.

The other comment has to do with whales breaching. Whales, of course, attain a certain velocity when they breach...but they can continue to propel themselves with their flukes even AFTER all of their body (except the flukes, of course) has risen above the water. Kind of like water polo players who can keep about half of their body out of the water even though they have no vertical "velocity"...just kicking & sculling against the water to keep high in the water.

Back to the original question, I don't think a human could ever breach the water as described....and I'd think a good freediver, kicking hard even as they broke the water's surface, would get higher out of the water than something (a runaway ascent diver) relying on buoyancy alone.

(actually, I've joked with divers when we have rough conditions....I tell them that instead of climbing up the dangerous ladder, I'm going to fully inflate them from about 40m/130', and have them jump right onto the boat, like big neoprene-clad penguins.)

A buddy of mine made an uncontrolled ascent from about 20 metres in a drysuit once.

The reasons are irrelevant but he told me (I obviously wasn't there to see him surface) that he came out of the water to about the tops of his hips. I remember reading another story of a diver who made a run away ascent from a much deeper depth with a similar problem and IIRC he said his hips cleared the water.

Lots of adrenaline but no launches.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom