Rockport: Now a better place to NOT dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R:
The place went for only a couple of million last time, so if we all chip in should be a couple bucks each.
Well, between you and I Tom, we should be able to cover it. LOL.

So how long will it take to make our money back at $10 a diver?? :eyecrazy:

KrustyTheClownFish:
Naw, way longer. Supplying free hot water to fill up all those jugs is going to melt away all of the profits...
Yeah, especially if each diver needs 2 gallons of hot water.......

gatorboy:
I had a post written just before the forum got locked, but hey reefraff said a few of the things I wanted to say for me. The manager of the RBL has asked for suggestions so that's what we should be putting here. He was very polite to my group of divers on the weekend and to every one else I'm sure he will show the same curtousy as long as you show him a little respect as well. so we should show him the same curtousy by trying to help solve the problem. What if between the two long weekends, parking would only be allowed for divers in his lot before and after the hours of his operation during the day. Sure, it would be pretty early in the morning, but deal with it. It's called compromise. I'm not sure what time his last run of the day. If you want to dive the wall in the summer during business hours, you just may have to pay for a charter, there's lots up there. Me personally, I prefer to avoid Rockport during these couple of months. I guess worst case scenerio for the people who want to dive during business hours is that they could drop all of their gear to the side of the boat launch "OUT OF THE WAY OF BOATERS" and park the vehicle just off the main road and walk back. Keep in mind you want to stay out of the way of the boaters, use a dive flag and be smart about where you're diving. I'm a guilty party for surface swimming out to the wreck, but it was off season and we didn't see one boat the whole time we went out. This isnt very smart during the summer.
Hey, I got! There is a house just off the wall for sale. We'll all pitch in and buy it since we all seem to be such good freinds here!!LOL It does have a nice dock.

Gatorboy

This is simple to solve,the guy is a up and down wing nut, just stay off his property and find your selves another entry point away from public traffic. I've known him for five years and for five years he has been saying yes and or no to divers diving off of his property so your complaint is nothing new. I beleave his decisions is based on the mood of his day. I know this is a good shore entry point with some depth gentlement but if your not willing to pay $65 for two tank boat dive your going to run into these types of snags, and or you'l just have to be happy diving the Rothesay, conestoga and or the Morrison in Barrie.

Amobeus

amobeus:
This is simple to solve,the guy is a up and down wing nut, just stay off his property and find your selves another entry point away from public traffic. I've known him for five years and for five years he has been saying yes and or no to divers diving off of his property so your complaint is nothing new. I beleave his decisions is based on the mood of his day. I know this is a good shore entry point with some depth gentlement but if your not willing to pay $65 for two tank boat dive your going to run into these types of snags, and or you'l just have to be happy diving the Rothesay, conestoga and or the Morrison in Barrie.

Amobeus
I believe the issue is because the boat ramp and/or the dock in front of the Boathouse are teh only real practical entry/exit points for those portions of the year that Rockport is actually safely shore-diveable.

To add to your list of alternate somewhat-local sites,
Rothesay
Conestoga
Lock 28 (Cardinal)
Lock 21 (Ingleside)
Prescott Coal Docks
Centine Park Brockville

and of course my favorites, Kingston's many shore sites........

Freefloat I think Tom R and some others have been trying to say that on here for the last 2 months. don't shoredive Rockport during the boating season period. if you absolutely must, do it during the week but follow the unspoken rules.

If people want techy shoredives go do the Gaskin, or Ivy Lea, or Lock 21, you can certainly go into deco there and there is a rippin current. or Dickinsons Light, or Moulinette Island, or a nice long upstream drift with a scooter in either M'burg or the lock 21 canal.... sure they are not as pretty as the Kinghorn but imo the Gaskin is a nicer wreck and the abundance of shore dives between Ktown and Cornwall is what make this area great!

Back
Top Bottom