Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASDS in 1973, at C&G Sportings Goods, in Panama City, FL. Ronnie Groom was my instructor and he is now 81. I spoke to him just last week, he is still working everyday, but not teaching anymore. he said not a single diver he trained has ever had an accident and he is proud of that track record. I lost my card in 1983 and NASDS had the fire and couldn't verify my records so I re certified at a NASDS Dive Shop in Monterey, CA, and Bill Baldwin was my instructor the second time around. If anyone knows Bill, I would like to find him.

My mum was a NASDS instructor in 86' with Adelaide Skin Diving! She still has all of her cards and log books! The books are very different from what PADI gave me when I started!

Also, Mum is going back to do a refresher with PADI and its been about 20 years since she has been in gear... Is there any tips I can give her in regards to how similar PADI is to NASDS?... She's worried that things will be different, I told her they will be, but the principle remains the same... Thank you!

It will be a lot different. Ask her about Harassment Day in the pool! LOL Nobody does that anymore, but if someone was going to panic it is better to panic in the pool than in open water. Nobody does Blackout mask training anymore either.

image.jpeg
View attachment 375432 Better late than never? Well I just found this post and must say I'm so proud to have my NASDS certification received from Bob Eul at Scuba Sciences Phoenix late 80's. Worked in both stores and got my Dive Coordinator card there. Worked as a DC on the Bottom Scratcher a couple of times. Love diving . Last went in Cayman in 2005 but serious ear issues keep me out of the deep. Thought I'd share this photo. Great memories!!

OK, brand new to this forum and using my first post to resurrect a 9 year old thread. Don't ya just love guys like me?

First Certified NASDS by Greg Ballard of Scuba Sciences in PHX (others there Paul Wagonseller, Dan Walsh, Steve Nisky & Dan Bollander)
Attended the NASDS Instructors college in 79 or 80: Instructors were Tony Zimos, Richard "Dick" Hammas and I think Tom Wilson. My number...OWIC 426
Worked at Scuba Sciences, Phx and Tempe; San Diego Divers, La Jolla store only; Aloha Dive Shop, Honolulu; North Country Scuba, Laconia NH

Haven't dove for a while and lost ALL my dive stuff (equipment, C cards, log books...) in a house fire in 2006. Only thing left of my at pac was a mound of reformed lead shot.

I read this thread front to back and really enjoyed all the stories of Tony Z, San Diego Divers, Kevin Murphy, John Gaffney. Thanks for those great memories. Anyone remember diving off the Bottom Scratcher and Sand Dollar dive boats (San Diego) owned by Bill Johnston?

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane.
Hi Timmmm I dove off the Bottom Scratcer with Bob Eul in the late 80's! Tried to buy a tshirt but couldn't find them, don't know if it's still working out of San Diego. Cheers , Dorothy.

I did my certification dives off the Bottom Scratcher.
Still using my NASDS card too. It sure does raise a few eyebrows aviary now and then.
Just getting my gear together as I am flying back down to Utila for about two weeks of seeing old friend that live there and making new friends. Love that little island....been going there since themed-90s.
Wow lucky you! I worked for Bob Soto's in Cayman and met a good friend Veronica who is from Utila. Don't need to say have a great time

Reactions: mdb
I was curious to see if I could find any news on Tony Zimos, and came across this thread. So many memories! First certified NASDS at The Dive Shop in DC by an instructor couple, Bob and can't remember the wife's name. Fine instructors. The owner was a great guy as well, ex-military, and has since passed away.

Went to San Diego in 1983 for instructor's college, run by Zimos himself and a trainer that was doing his first stint at the college, Bob Marx. Those were the worst days and the best days of my life. I was never in the military, but I think we got a taste of it under Zimos and his SEAL like training methods. He was in a lot of back pain at the time, and I think it could have been a lot tougher on us had he been full strength. I definitely remember the stories, including one where a guy who's chute didn't open, fell on top of Tony's chute and refused to climb down the ropes before they hit the ground. I think he broke both legs. I remember the old equipment stories and about how he watched a friend die from not being able to exhale. Met John Gaffney in LA, hell bent on selling Z-90 equipment. I remember the day with Stan Waterman, one of the great underwater photography pioneers. The grueling days at La Jolla Shores and the Kiddy Pool. Great memories of being out on the Sand Dollar and the Bottom Scratcher, with Tony making seasick kids eat runny eggs.

I came out OWIC #699, thought I was going to work in DC at the dive shop, but got a better offer from the Diving Locker in Pacific Beach, and ended up teaching at the same places I trained. I remember all the Nicklin family, Terry and Flip, and their father Chuck. Even met one of the Cousteau's while working there.

Favorite quote on this thread.....

To my way of thinking, if you have an NASDS cert., you are probably more qualified than most other certificate-issuing-organizations' diving instructors. When I got my cert. (early 70s), NASDS was the ne plus ultra of diving certification authorities. NAUI and PADI were a poor, distant second. And my attendance of the 3rd Divers Instructoral College in Sandy Eggo in the late 70s served to reinforce this view. Tony Zimos ran a very tight ship, and if you passed one of his classes, you were damn-sure qualified to provide training to others....

-RW-

PS: If any of you trained under Tony, did he tell you the story of the clapped-out old Vietnamese broad with whom you had had to, uhhhh, "sleep" in order to be accepted by your SEAL Team brethren? That is one of the most horrifying initiation rites I have ever heard of....

Don't remember that one, but did Tony ever bring in his piercing gear and threaten to pierce someone's privates? Everyone was sure he was going to do it till the last second.... hell, I even helped hold he guy down!!!

p.s. Sorry about the rant... just so many memories!

Last edited:
Certified @ San Diego Divers Supply in 1971. I was a Marine Officer serving @ MCRD. It was a very extensive course, lots of pool work., five open water dives and offers for follow up instruction. Primary instructor was Rick Milton. Good primary training.

First time posting. Wow what an old thread. I was certified NASDS in 1979 at Aqua Center in Aurora Illinois. went to the dive instructors college in San Diego In 1979. Tony Z. AKA Anthony George Zimonostopatoppalis not sure of spelling but close Dan Smith from Denver Divers, Dick Hammas (professor at SD state) and Connie, Tony's girlfriend at the time (taught Physiology) were the instructors. Went on to work at SDDS after the collage and worked ther for about 2 years. Kevin Murphy AKA Murf the surf or spiderman. and Bill Hardy were the owners. Was a great time in my life. Taught lots of people to dive through that store and taught at the college a couple of times. Live in Jupiter FL. now and still dive almost every weekend. I would love to know where these guys are now and how they are doing. Scott R OWIC 473

Back
Top Bottom