romantic get away and lots of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are planning our 25th wedding anniversary, we want to go diving some where in the carribean. We have been diving for a couple years now ( so we are still fairly new). we have done mostly wall diving, dove in Roatan loved doing the shore dives. We want to go somewhere new but more pampered since we will be celebrating our 25th. Looking at St.Croix, or Bonaire, open for other suggestions too. Still want a place that caters to divers though.
Thanks
Lynne :mermaid:

lynnemari:
My husband and I are planning our 25th wedding anniversary, we want to go diving some where in the carribean. We have been diving for a couple years now ( so we are still fairly new). we have done mostly wall diving, dove in Roatan loved doing the shore dives. We want to go somewhere new but more pampered since we will be celebrating our 25th. Looking at St.Croix, or Bonaire, open for other suggestions too. Still want a place that caters to divers though.
Thanks
Lynne :mermaid:

Welcome to Scubaboard! A personal favorite for a romantic getaway would be Anse Chastanet on St. Lucia. Its not a dive dedicated destination but the diving is good, the boat rides are short and the resort is verrry nice. If you really like the shore diving then Bonaire would be more in line with your desires. I have dove St. Croix and personally would not go back for the diving or the island itself.

I'd recommend Young Island on St. Vincent as a great romantic getaway. Also not a dedicated dive resort but Dive St. Vincent makes it very convienient and the diving is quite good and varied. They pick you up at the Young Island dock every day and take care of gear. And it's really handy to walk right into your outdoor shower in your wetsuit when you get back from diving!

It's not a shore diving place though we once did do a shore dive right off Young Island. (Only once, because it's the sort of place that makes you too lazy to make the extra effort, though there are lots of critters to be seen if you make the swim to the right area.)

I agree on St. Croix. We went down for a very long weekend once on a last minute special. I might consider doing a similar thing again, but in my mind it doesn't rate a special trip.

Been to lots of resort - diving & non-diving alike. Not sure about the mix you want but the wife & I just got back from Belize - www.turneffelodge.com.

This place was excellent - great food, great location, great lodging. Quiet, private and lots of diving. It *is* focused on diving, but I would rate their food as *excellent* and their care as definitely pampered.

When you arrive (by boat - it is on a small, private island at the south end of Turneffe), the entire island has been raked - from the front of your cabana (get a private cabana) all the way to the water. The furniture and buildings look like they've been painted yesterday - the reason, they have 2 full-time staff members just painting and refinishing furniture. When we were there, there were 14 guests, and a staff of 23. The diving is wonderful - and easy. 5 to 10 minute boat rides - and you literally do nothing. The DM's are great - they will switch your gear between dives if you like, take care of the rinsing/carrying, etc.

The cabanas are private and spacious. Each one has a large outdoor shower, as well as a large interior shower/bathroom. The floor, walls and ceiling are all made from Belizean hardwoods. Besides the bed, there are a couch and 2 chairs. A screened-in porch facing the sea with another 2 chairs, and out on the sand are 2 chaise lounges and a hammock for each. Check out the pics in my gallery - they are all from the resort. My photo skills leave a little to be desired, but you'll get the idea.

The people are excellent - friendly, outgoing and dedicated to making sure you have a good time.

Did I mention the food was great?

Possible Downsides -

- It is focused on diving - 3 dives a day, if you want.
- While the food is excellent, you eat at tables of 8. A great way to share stories, but not romantic dining.
- QUIET island - there is nothing else - no town, no nightlife.
- Kayaks & sunfish are available, as is a small swimming pool, if you aren't diving.
- You can explore the island in 20 minutes.

In other words - you are left to yourselves to find/provide entertainment. If laying in a hammock under a thatched shade gazebo and reading a book or staring at the water is your idea of the perfect compliment to the end of a days diving, you will definitely like this place.

If, however, you are looking for spa treatments, private dining and an island to explore, look elsewhere (Anse Chastenet *is* wonderful, as Tim mentioned).

If you need more info or have questions, let me know...

BTW - congrats!

If you want the best diving that caters to divers, I would say Bonaire.
If you want romantic also, I would pick the Plaza Resort and take the Ocean FRONT not ocean view suites.
They are off on their own, very quiet, diving right out the door, and romantic.

Great resort. Large rooms, huge bathrooms and tubs. Nicest beach and sand in Bonaire. Dive Op 'Toucan Diving' on site, and rated in the top 10 dive ops in the Caribbean.
www.plazaresortbonaire.com

Tell them Natasha sent you.

Well, somebody already got to it, but here's another vote for Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia...

Third vote For Anse Chastenet. Very very Romantic. Good diving and great snorkeling. A few things to think about though:
- from the room to the beach is about 165 steps: not a place for people with weak knees.
- road to the hotel is horrific. It is better if you have a Jeep-like vehicle.
- There are no hotels/restaurants in walking distance. You need to drive.
- Not cheap (but worth every penny).

ScubaRon:
Third vote For Anse Chastenet. Very very Romantic. Good diving and great snorkeling. A few things to think about though:
- from the room to the beach is about 165 steps: not a place for people with weak knees.
- road to the hotel is horrific. It is better if you have a Jeep-like vehicle.
- There are no hotels/restaurants in walking distance. You need to drive.
- Not cheap (but worth every penny).
My wife and I spent our honeymoon in St Lucia. We actually stayed at Sandals which is basically right next to Anse Chastenet. The diving is really good there...warm, clear waters with short boat rides. I believe the Anse Chastenet is all inclusive as Sandals is which means no money to carry around etc. Makes it much more relaxing not having to worry about tipping etc. Sandals is probably a little cheaper than Anse, but it caters to couples and we had an absolute blast there! I second the ride from the airprot...it will just about make you sick!

Robinhood:
I believe the Anse Chastenet is all inclusive as Sandals is which means no money to carry around etc. Makes it much more relaxing not having to worry about tipping etc.

Anse C isn't necessarily all inclusive - we did MAP plan. It is a great place, peaceful and unique but it can have drawbacks for certain people, viz:

- no air con in the rooms - the windows are slatted so the breezes come through but there were times when I would have loved just to flick a switch

- the road to the hotel from town is terrible but it has the advantage of deterring bypassers

- it can be steep, depending where your room is - also the beach is at the bottom of many steps - fine going down, not so going up but if you're average fit, it's ok

- no swimming pool - ok so you have the carribbean BUT not everyone likes to swim in the sea (believe it or not!!)

Scuba St Lucia on site are very good and very safety conscious. Check out dives for all. They do some neat night dives, too, and also occasional talks on marine life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom