Ronda Cross Tank CO Test cause of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwexplorer,

I can understand the warning, and appreciate your information. But the Dalton's Law concerning the partial pressure of any gas is a pretty important concept in diving. Since I am not a rebreather diver, can you expand on the discussion of CO in a rebreather loop? That would be an interesting addition to this discussion.

John (SeaRat)
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

On a rebreather, gas are recycled, therefore any molecule injected in the loop (the extension of your lungs) is staying there until it is absorbed. If it is not and new gas is injected (O2 regularly, air less so) and said gas contains CO molecules, they add up to the total number of CO molecules circulating in the loop, therefore increasing the pCO and possibly accelerating absorption.
In regular scuba, any CO molecule not absorbed during a breath is expired right away. The pCO is constant (at least upon inspiration).

Just noticed that the rebreather's specificity with respect to CO toxicity was addressed in post #118.
The boat fumes story is getting me concerned though... I was diving off my friend's small boat last weekend and couldn't help but notice the strong smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin. When I brought up the CO story, he pointed at a box in which a CO sensor was sitting, uninstalled!
Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom