RP is center of marine biodiversity in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think poverty is not that much of a problem. ever been to mall of asia? see how many people go there? did you notice that there are more malls being built compared to schools in the past few years?

i agree with paolo, it could possibly be a case of wrong distribution of resources. true, our resources abound - natural, intellectual, agricultural...we even have loads of surplus on human capital that we have so many OFWs anywhere in the world. yes, population explosion is also a problem - the squatters have more children than the working class! and these are the people we see on the streets begging for some loose change, sniffing glue, or snatching cell phones. but wait....do you know how much a matrona spends on ballroom dancing? or how much money moves around the jueteng circuit or your local OTB?

i also like what babydamulag said. let's just continue bringing our diver friends from all over the globe to visit our home paradise inspite of the bad press that we are getting. we just have to remember that we'll have to take care of our guests with our world-famous hospitality that we always take pride in. i compare this to the pigeons - they're not ashamed to bring home a new friend even if their coop is full of poop! :wink:

boljakool:
....do you know how much a matrona spends on ballroom dancing? or how much money moves around the jueteng circuit or ...

jueteng in a small town in Morong Bataan Php 60,000 A DAY !

imaigne that ! a DAY ! in a month that is around a million a month. consider that amount being used for the promotion of TRADE that would generate livelihood for the populace.

as one of the Studies made : provide TRADE not AID. trade should be generated not foreign air. in foreign aid it gets skimmed off to those in control of the money :

supplemental reading : Confessions of an Economic Hitman

someone , please move the non biodiveristy post to a new thread

When I was in graduate school it was said to be Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. Does anyone know what was found to move the center so far to the west?

Thalassamania:
When I was in graduate school it was said to be Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. Does anyone know what was found to move the center so far to the west?
Hmmmm.. you def received some bad info there. Especially as Cook Islands are isolated and small...

It is well well well known that marine biodiversity is centered around Indo, PI, PNG area. As you go further east all species of coral and fish drop vastly.

EG: PI, Indo, PNG etc each have well in excess of 2000 species of fish. Go east just to Palau and you drop to around 1200, Yap 1000, go as far as French Polynesia or Cook Islands and you are looking at around 400-600 if i recall correctly.

This is well documented and can be found in most fish id books....

Ah, we're talking about two different things, my fault. Not the total species list but biogeographically where most of the the fish species radiated from.

Thalassamania:
Ah, we're talking about two different things, my fault. Not the total species list but biogeographically where most of the the fish species radiated from.
actually, if it's the center of biodiversity it's where ALL the marine reef fish species in the Pacific radiated from. :D

But I would also suspect that the total species list is greater for the coral triangle than the cook islands. What do you mean? Does the Cook Islands have more species than the coral triangle?

I don't think we could measure poverty by looking at how many people go to a newly opened mall. A more vague but accurate measure would be buying power. Have you noticed the recent trend in consumer products? smaller pack sizes, shampoo sachets, coke sakto, one-use pouches etc.. you know why manufacturers have come out with this pack sizes? anybody know the number one consumer food product currently here? Its instant noodles. and the consumer behavior on it, it's use a viand. the per capita consumption of noodles is higher than any fresh food product available except for rice of course. The purchasing power of Juan has becoming limited.

I agree, education is key to reducing most of the problems but I still think that population control should go with it. And its not just education, it has to be quality education. The less people the more resources each one could use, the higher their earning power is. Population in a given area can go to infinity but resources on a given area will not even if you spread it evenly.

But this is something debatable, and every filipino probably has their own version of how to solve this country's problem so I'll go now and do what I love the most, dive :D

oh and as a diver Im still happy that I live here in the Philippines. The social and financial issues is something that can always be actionable at the individual level. :)

i still go for an independent marine-watch body with enforcement powers. we can even deputize some of us smartasses here---let's go! sorta like a sea-going CAFGU

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom