Rubber Ankle Strap for drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidLoPan

Registered
Reaction score
Hullo.

I just recently got back from a dive with the Sun Diver Express. We were diving Catalina.

I noticed a few (if not all) of the techie divers were using some sort of removable 3-point rubber ankle strap with their turbo soles. I was just wandering what the official name of these "3-point rubber ankle straps" are and what the advantage of these straps are for.

Thank you

Those are called "fin keeper". I think they also use turbo soles instead of boots, right? Because turbo sole is just neoprene sock with rubber sole glued on it, it doesn't have any mechanism to keep diver's feet firmly inside. When air gets into the foot pocket, diver's feet can slide out of the turbo sole. The fin keepers kind of hold driver's feet, just like one would tight the shoe lace with the boots.

They are "fin keepers".

images.jpg
One use is to compress the heel of a drysuit boot, to keep it a little snugger.

You can also use them on full foot fins.

Thanks much for your feedback! I was able to now find it on google and on some stores!
Yes the techies that were diving that day used the fin keepers on their turbo souls.
I have turbo souls myself and whenever i put on my turtle fins it seems like spring straps would sit just below my heel. So the fin keepers look like a good solution to keep the string straps between the heel and ankle region.

They help keep your heel from rocking in turbosole style attached boots.

They do come in different sizes so you will need to sort that out.

Pete

I've found that the finkeepers themselves will not stop the spring strap from rolling off the heel, if the strap is set low enough on the fin. But I have added some "spur rests" to mine (basically a tight roll of Gorilla tape that's then taped around one loop of the finkeeper) and I put my straps about that, and it seems to help quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom