Rubber bands for AL40 deco bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, You can often find those flat bungies at the dollar store or Big Lots for cheap. They usually have little plastic hooks attached to both ends, which I cut off, then melt the ends with a lighter to keep them from unraveling. Another nice thing about the flat bungy vs. round stuff is that it doesn't roll on you.

I use a car innertube cut across the width then I cut a strip about an inch wide and use contact cement to glue it on to one side of my big rubber band, then I contact cement again and fold the strip over onto itself making a grab handle.

Thanks Dave, That's a good idea for making a handle. I had ideas of cutting an inner tube leaving a "flap", but the glueing would certainly be easier.

Henrik

Go to a truck tire store. Get a truck inner tube. Cut one inch wide strips from it. Wrap it aound the tank and tie a knot, then tie another knot and another knot. 2-3 knots provides the perfect handle. The hardest part is finding a scrap tube. The rest is all free, no need to glue or try to find a perect sized tube....

Henrik, what's the problem with the small ones from SeaMar? That's what I use. I have arthritic fingers, and I can't get them under anything really taut, like the XS Scuba elastic ones. But the small SeaMar bands work perfectly. Maybe you got some odd ones? If you measure the length of them put flat and doubled, I'll check them against mine.

These are the loop bungees that I was speaking about earlier TS&M. They are really easy on the hand and you can usually get them from a surplus hardware store or camping supply store really cheap. I really like the little ball on the end cuz it gives something to grab at. I have also see these types of bungee loops with clips on them similar to that seen on the UTD Z-system tank bungee. I have experimented with the idea as a source of redundancy for SM/stage diving in case of a primary tank connection failure.

Bungeeball2.jpg

26.jpg

Go to a truck tire store. Get a truck inner tube. Cut one inch wide strips from it. Wrap it aound the tank and tie a knot, then tie another knot and another knot. 2-3 knots provides the perfect handle. The hardest part is finding a scrap tube. The rest is all free, no need to glue or try to find a perect sized tube....

Thanks Dumpster. That may actually be a way for me to use the larger SeMar bands - they look very much like they're cut from scrap inner tubes. I'll try knotting and see how it fits.

Henrik, what's the problem with the small ones from SeaMar? That's what I use. I have arthritic fingers, and I can't get them under anything really taut, like the XS Scuba elastic ones. But the small SeaMar bands work perfectly. Maybe you got some odd ones? If you measure the length of them put flat and doubled, I'll check them against mine.

Thanks Lynne; We may have gotten an odd size from SeMar. The small ones just slide gently off the AL40 when I stand it up. I'll measure tonight and post a number.

Henrik

Dirt bike and Supermoto innertubes........most sportbikes are tubeless.
120's for 30/40 cf tanks, 160's for 80 cf.

nielsent, have you had any trouble with the round elastic rolling on the tanks? I tried surgical tubing and bungie before I went to the SeaMar bands, but anything round seemed to want to roll up and off the tank when I deploy the reg.

Dirt bike and Supermoto innertubes........most sportbikes are tubeless.
120's for 30/40 cf tanks, 160's for 80 cf.

Thanks Fishpie - I'll take a walk around the neighborhood and see what I can find in Dirt or SM bikes :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom